Monday, August 1, 2011

Jail Bunny

Scripture Reference: Acts 16:16-36
Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. – 1 Corinthians 16:13
A lesson about God’s power.

Cast:
D.B. – a good albeit not very bright bunny
MR. MIKE– the teacher who sets him straight

Props:
None

(MR. MIKE is on stage when D.B. enters.)

D.B.: Hi, Mr. Mike.

MR. MIKE: Hi, D.B. How’s it going?

D.B.: I am doing a lot better now.

MR. MIKE: You weren’t doing OK before now?

D.B.: No, I had a bad week at school.

MR. MIKE: What school do you go to, D.B.?

D.B.: Bugs Bunny Elementary School, and they are so unfair.

MR. MIKE: What happened?

D.B.: I had detention all week.

MR. MIKE: What did you do?

D.B.: That is just it. I did not do anything.

MR. MIKE: (incredulous) Really?

D.B.: Really. I know I do naughty stuff sometimes, but this time I am innocent, I tell ya.

MR. MIKE: Then I’m sorry to hear that.

D.B.: Plus the school bully was in there: Peter Bignose.

MR. MIKE: Peter Bignose?

D.B.: Do you know him?

MR. MIKE: No, it’s just a kind of unusual name.

D.B.: It is a pretty common rabbit name.

MR. MIKE: Really?

D.B.: Yes, there are lots of rabbits named Peter.

MR. MIKE: Oh. Well, that must have been pretty scary to be in detention with the school bully.

D.B.: It was at first, but then I got to know him.

MR. MIKE: And is he really a good kid?

D.B.: He is OK. He is really angry though. We talked a lot last week.

MR. MIKE: About what?

D.B.: Just stuff. Star Wars, Legos, comic books, sports, and even Jesus.

MR. MIKE: That’s great, D.B. What did you tell him about Jesus?

D.B.: About how wonderful he is and how he could help Peter not be so angry.

MR. MIKE: What did he say?

D.B.: He is thinking about it. I think it helped that I was not all grumpy frumpy about being unjustly put in detention.

MR. MIKE: You remind me of Paul & Silas.

D.B.: Did they have long ears and fuzzy tails, too?

MR. MIKE: No. In our Bible story today, they are unjustly put in prison. They prayed and sang hymns.

D.B.: Well, I did not sing any hymns.

MR. MIKE: That’s not what I…

D.B.: I did sing King of the Jungle. (sings)
Who's the king of the jungle? Hoo hoo!
Who's the king of the sea? Bubba bubba bubba...


MR. MIKE: Very nice.

D.B.: Thank you.

MR. MIKE: My point, however, was that Paul & Silas were in a bad situation, and by God’s power, something good came out of it. In their case, the jailer and his family were saved.

D.B.: Wow! And in my case Peter Bignose heard about Jesus.

MR. MIKE: Exactly.

D.B.: Thank you, Mr. Mike.

MR. MIKE: You’re welcome, D.B.

D.B.: Bye, Mr. Mike.

MR. MIKE: Bye, D.B.

No comments: