Monday, August 15, 2011

Good Feathers

Scripture Reference: Philemon, 2 Corinthians 5:21
If he has done you any wrong or owes you anything, charge it to me. - Philemon 1:18
A lesson about redemption.

Cast:
DILLY – a southern fried chicken who doesn’t always get things straight
BUGSY – a tough guy

Costume:
something that suggests a gangster

(BUGSY is out of sight; DILLY enters)

DILLY: Good mornin;, young 'uns' How y'all are? (improv/interact with the kids) Well, aren't y'all just cuter than a box of puppies.

BUGSY: (enters and approaches the stage) Hey, you! Chicken! Can you help me?

DILLY: I reckon I can. How may I help you, sir?

BUGSY: I'm lookin' for some chick named Flora. You know the dame?

DILLY: The lady you are referring to is my dearest friend. What in the name of Col. Sanders does a ruffian like you want with Flora?

BUGSY: It ain't none of your business, but she owes my employer chicken feed.

DILLY: If she doesn't owe him much money, why did he send his hired muscle to collect it?

BUGSY: Not money, you dizzy dame. Chicken feed. She actually owes some feed for chickens.

DILLY: Well, roll me over and call me tumbleweeds. Whatever happened?

BUGSY: Seems your pal is a doll with a big heart. There wasn't enough food at the orphanage, so she borrowed some from my employer. Now, he's sent me to collect her repayment.

DILLY: The thing sounds more crooked than a corkscrew, but I can guarantee that Flora will make good on her debts.

BUGSY: Your guarantee is all well and good, but it don't feed the monkey.

DILLY: You have a mighty peculiar way of express yourself. Anyway, if her word isn't good enough for you, perhaps mine will be.

BUGSY: What you talking about you crazy broad?

DILLY: I will cover Flora's debt. I will pay it for her.

BUGSY: Why in the world would you do that?

DILLY: Because she is my oldest and dearest friend.

BUGSY: (starting to get emotional) And you'd do that for her?

DILLY: As certain as God made little green apples. I love Flora like a sister.

BUGSY: (becoming more emotional) I've never heard of anyone doing that before. That's the sweetest thing ever.

DILLY: Love is always willing to sacrifice for others and give to help a friend.

BUGSY: (bawling) I wish I had a friend like that. Someone I could sacrifice for. Someone to have my back. Someone to go to gun show with. I'm getting too emotional. I'll come back tomorrow to collect the chicken feed. . (exits quickly)

DILLY: (stares at stage surprised at Bugsy's sudden departure)

BUGSY: (reappears) I almost forgot – bye, youse guys! (exits)

DILLY: Bye, y'all. (exits)


1 comment:

ChildsPlay said...

In the skit, one of the teachers plays the part of Bugsy. When he starts crying about how he wishes he had a friend like that, my son Dalton runs up, hugs him, and tells him that he'll be his friend.