Monday, April 30, 2012

Salt of the Earth

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. – Matthew 6:21Scripture Reference: Matthew 5:13-16

A lesson on being a salty Christian.

Cast:
D.B. – a good albeit not very bright bunny
MR. MIKE – the teacher who sets him straight

Props:
Bible

(MR. MIKE starts on stage.)

MR. MIKE: This morning we are going to start a five-week study of Jesus' Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5-7. This morning we are going to learn about…

D.B.: Hi, Mr. Mike. Whatcha doin'?

MR. MIKE: Hi, D.B. I was just about to read our verse for today.

D.B.: Oh, goody. I love to hear Bible verses. What is it?

MR. MIKE: Matthew 5:13 says, " You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot."

D.B.: I like that verse.

MR. MIKE: It's a good verse. Do you know what it means?

D.B.: Yes, I do, and I even have the perfect Bible story to go with it.

MR. MIKE: You do?

D.B.: Oh, yes. I have been reading the book of Genesis.

MR. MIKE: That's great, D.B. What story is it? Noah? Abraham?

D.B.: Sodom & Gomorrah.

MR. MIKE: That doesn't sound like…

D.B.: Trust me. There is a connection.

MR. MIKE: (warily) OK. Go ahead.

D.B.: God destroyed Sodom & Gomorrah, because they were so evil. But God spared Lot and his family. God warned them not to look back, but Lot's wife did look back and…

TOGETHER: …turned into a pillar of salt.

D.B.: Yeah.

MR. MIKE: That’s not the kind of salt…

D.B.: Do you think Lot kept his wife in a salt shaker on the mantle?

MR. MIKE: I don't know, but that's not…

D.B.: That is very possible. My mom was driving one time, and she looked back and turned into a telephone pole.

MR. MIKE: No, I mean the verse from Matthew doesn’t mean we have to turn into salt.

D.B.: Well, that is a good thing. I would be in a real PINCH if were SALT. Get it? Pinch. Salt. It is a little joke.

MR. MIKE: Jokes that little should still be in the nursery.

D.B.: I just got told by Mr. Mike.

MR. MIKE: What Jesus meant was that just like salty food makes us thirsty for water, we are to be salty to make others thirsty for Living Water, which is Jesus. Do you understand?

D.B.: Oh, I get it now. And I am not even in-SALT-ed that you thought I might not get it. Did you hear what I did? In-SALT-ed. I made another funny.

MR. MIKE: You better stop, or I will a-SALT you.

D.B.: MR. MIKE made a funny, too. Good one, Mr. Mike.

MR. MIKE: Thank you, D.B.

D.B.: You are welcome, Mr. Mike.

MR. MIKE: Bye, D.B.

D.B.: Bye, Mr. Mike. (exits)

No comments: