Monday, May 7, 2012

A Pie for a Pie

Scripture Reference: Matthew 5:38-48


A lesson about loving your enemies.
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. – Matthew 6:21
Cast:
OZZIE – an excitable little monster
MR. MATT – the teacher who sets him straight

Props:
none

(MR. MATT starts on stage.)

OZZIE: (enters & makes sound like he is going to hock up a big one) Kkkkkkkkkkkkkkk…

MR. MATT: Ozzie?

OZZIE: Kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk…

MR. MATT: (sternly) Ozzie!

OZZIE: (louder) Kkkkkkkkk…

MR. MATT: What are you doing?

OZZIE: Kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk…

MR. MATT: Cut it out!

OZZIE: (softly) Kkkk.

MR. MATT: Stop.

OZZIE: K

MR. MATT: Ah!

OZZIE: Fine! I'll stop.

MR. MATT: What were you doing?

OZZIE: Trying to spit.

MR. MATT: Why are you trying to spit?

OZZIE: Because I'm so mad.

MR. MATT: If you're mad enough to spit, you're not supposed to actually spit.

OZZIE: (looking behind the stage) Now you tell me. (looking back up) I have already spit so much that I've gone dry.

MR. MATT: Who made you so mad?

OZZIE: Alfonso Pasquale.

MR. MATT: The school bully.

OZZIE: Yep.

MR. MATT: Is he picking on you again?

OZZIE: Yep.

MR. MATT: What did he do that made you so mad?

OZZIE: He hit me with a pie.

MR. MATT: A pie?

OZZIE: A cream pie right in the puss.

MR. MATT: That's terrible.

OZZIE: Then he kicked me with his big old boot.

MR. MATT: His boot?

OZZIE: His boot right in my bootie.

MR. MATT: What did you do?

OZZIE: Nothing yet, but I plan on getting even. As soon as I can buy a pie and a big pair of boots, I'll get him back.

MR. MATT: I don't think that's a good choice.

OZZIE: You have heard that it was said, "A pie for a pie and a boot for a boot."

MR. MATT: I don't think that's quite right. Regardless, you need to be nice.

OZZIE: But I hate that despicable bully.

MR. MATT: Ozzie!

OZZIE: What?!?

MR. MATT: Is that what the Bible says you're supposed to do?

OZZIE: Yes. Well, probably. OK, maybe. No.

MR. MATT: Right. Jesus said, "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."

OZZIE: But he's such a meanie.

MR. MATT: I understand. It's easy to love nice people, but Jesus calls us to do something harder: Love people who are mean to us.

OZZIE: But I really want to throw a pie in his face.

MR. MATT: Then you'd be no different that the bully. If someone who knows you're a Christian sees you do that, what are they going to think about Christians?

OZZIE: Yeah, but I have some really swell boots I want to buy. They're huge and would really…

MR. MATT: Ozzie!

OZZIE: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. I'll forget about getting even and start praying for Alfonso Pasquale.

MR. MATT: That's much better.

OZZIE: And I'll start by praying he gets hit by a pie and kicked with a boot. (exits quickly)

MR. MATT: Ozzie!

No comments: