Monday, October 3, 2011

The LORD Is My Shepherd

Scripture Reference: Psalm 23
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. - Psalm 23:4
A skit showing the importance of the LORD being your shepherd.

Cast:
SHEEP – like King David, knows that the LORD is his shepherd
GOAT – tries to be the shepherd of his own life

(The SHEEP and the GOAT are standing next to each other facing the audience.)

SHEEP: The LORD is my shepherd.

GOAT: I’m in charge of my own life. I don't need a boss, I don't need a leader, and I sure don't need a shepherd. What do I look like, a sheep?

SHEEP: I shall not be in want.

GOAT: Life is hard. I have to work for everything I’ve got.

SHEEP: He makes me lie down in green pastures.

GOAT: My mom makes me mow our green pastures.

SHEEP: He leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.

GOAT: Life is crazy. Get up early, go to school, do my chores, do my homework, play video games, and no time for me. I need a vacation.

SHEEP: He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.

GOAT: I go my own way for my own sake.

SHEEP: Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me.

GOAT: (overly-confident) And let me tell you, going it alone… (far less confident) can be pretty scary.

SHEEP: Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

GOAT: I have a nightlight and my teddy bear, but they don’t always bring be comfort.

SHEEP: You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.

GOAT: I prepare to run in the presence of my enemies. Run really fast.

SHEEP: You anoint my head with oil.

GOAT: I don’t wash my hair, so my head is already full of oil. I’m a rebel.

SHEEP: My cup overflows.

GOAT: My cup overflows, but my mom makes me mop it up.

SHEEP: Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life.

GOAT: I don’t know who Shirley Goodness or this Mercy person is, but I don’t want anyone following me.

SHEEP: And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

GOAT: You know, I think I’d rather live with you. So who’s this shepherd guy you keep talking about?

(The SHEEP and the GOAT walk off quietly talking to each other.)

No comments: