Monday, July 18, 2011

At the Other End of the Scales

Scripture Reference: Acts 9:1-22, 2 Timothy 1:3-7

A lesson about conversion.
Immediately, something like scales fell from Saul’s eyes, and he could see again. He got up and was baptized... - Acts 9:18
Cast:
D.B. – a good albeit not very bright bunny
MISS REBECCA – the teacher who sets him straight

Props:
Balance or bathroom scales
2 or 3 toy fish
Sheet music
Bible

SFX:
Truck horn

(MISS REBECCA begins on stage)

MISS REBECCA: While we are waiting for D.B., let’s take a look at our Bible story for today. It is the story about Saul’s conversion., and it can be found in Acts 9. (read Acts 9:1-19)

D.B.: (when MISS REBECCA reads about the scales falling from Saul’s eyes, moves the balance or bathroom scales out on stage; at the end of the reading start shouting) I can see! I can see! The scales have fallen from my eyes!

MISS REBECCA: What are you yelling about?

D.B.: The scales have fallen from my eyes, Miss Rebecca, just like Saul. See? (looks at the scales)

MISS REBECCA: It wasn’t those kind of scales.

D.B.: (disappointed) Oh. (having an idea) Oh. (exits, throws out fish, returns) I can see! I can see! The scales have fallen from my eyes!

MISS REBECCA: Not fish scales.

D.B.: Oh. Hmmm. Ah. (exits, throws out sheet music, returns) I can see! I can see! The scales have fallen from my eyes!

MISS REBECCA: Not musical scales.

D.B.: (dreading) OK. (exits, sounds of straining)

SFX: truck horn

MISS REBECCA: Not truck scales either.

D.B.: (enters) Phew! That’s a relief.

MISS REBECCA: What’s going on with all the different kinds of scales?

D.B.: I want to have a cool conversion like story like Saul.

MISS REBECCA: Sweetie, the important thing is that you’re saved, now how cool your story is.

D.B.: Yeah, but Saul’s story is SO cool.

MISS REBECCA: It is, but do you know who Timothy is?

D.B.: Is he that kid with eleven toes?

MISS REBECCA: What? No! Timothy was a friend of Saul’s. He didn’t have a dramatic conversion story, but he was a very influential in the early church.

D.B.: Really?

MISS REBECCA: Really. You don’t have to have a dramatic conversion to make a dramatic difference for God.

D.B.: I am so happy to hear that. It is a real pain to carry around all of these scales.

MISS REBECCA: I imagine it is.

D.B.: Thank you, Miss Rebecca.

MISS REBECCA: You’re welcome, D.B.

D.B.: Bye, Miss Rebecca.

MISS REBECCA: Bye, D.B.

No comments: