Monday, May 9, 2011

Schrödinger's Candy

Scripture Reference: John 20:19-31

A lesson about faith and doubt.
He is not here, He has risen, just as he said. – Matthew 28:6
Cast:
D.B. – a good albeit not very bright bunny
MR. MATT – the teacher who sets her straight

Props:
Bag of M&M's

(MR. MATT is on stage holding an unopened bad of M&M's.)

D.B.: Hi, Mr. Matt.

MR. MATT: Hey, D.B.

D.B.: Whatcha got there?

MR. MATT: A bag of M&M's. (shows bag)

D.B.: What is inside the bag?

MR. MATT: (confused) M&M's.

D.B.: How do you know?

MR. MATT: Well, it says M&M's on the bag.

D.B.: I can see that.

MR. MATT: OK, then why...

D.B.: I know how to read.

MR. MATT: That's good, but...

D.B.: I don't know why you think I cannot read.

MR. MATT: Well, because you asked...

D.B.: I can definitely read, but how can you be sure there are really M&M's in your bag of M&M's?

MR. MATT: (shaking the bag) They sound like M&M's.

D.B.: But Skittles would sound like that, too.

MR. MATT: I suppose, but why would anyone put Skittles in an M&M's bag?

D.B.: (mysteriously) Why indeed?

MR. MATT: D.B. there are M&M's in my M&M's bag. It says M&M's on the bag. (shaking bag) They sound like M&M's. (sniffing) They even smell like M&M's.

D.B.: But you cannot see them. How can you be really, truly, absolutely sure?

MR. MATT: I guess it's faith. I don't always have to see something to know it is true. I know the sun will come up tomorrow morning even though I haven't seen it come up yet.

D.B.: Yeah, but the sun always comes up every morning.

MR. MATT: And every bag of M&M's I've ever opened had M&M's in it.

D.B.: I guess. But I am still not really, truly, completely, totally, 100%, absolutely, sure there are M&M's in there.

MR. MATT: Then why don't I open the bag and prove it once and for all.

D.B.: Great idea!

MR. MATT: (opens bag) Sure enough: M&M's.

D.B.: Let me see.

MR. MATT: (brings bag to D.B.) See?

D.B.: Closer.

MR. MATT: (brings bag closer) Can you see now?

D.B.: Closer.

MR. MATT: (brings bag closer) How about now?

D.B.: Perfect. (grabs bag) Bye, Mr. Matt. (exits)

MR. MATT: Bye, D.B.

No comments: