Monday, May 16, 2011

Happily Ever After

Scripture Reference: Many troublesome thoughts which disquiet our minds, rise from mistakes concerning Christ. - Matthew HenryLuke 24:13-35

A lesson about the nature of Jesus.


Cast
:

DILLY – a southern fried chicken who doesn’t always get things straight

MR. MATT– the teacher who sets her straight


Props
:
None

(MR. MATT is on stage.)

DILLY: Hi, Mr. Matt. How y'all doin'?


MR. MATT: Hi, dilly. I'm doing well. How are you?


DILLY: I'm finer than frog hair.


MR. MATT: I understand you were reading the Bible for Easter. How's it going?


DILLY: Oh, I had to stop before they killed Jesus.


MR. MATT: Why?


DILLY: 'Cause that's sadder than a dog without a nose.


MR. MATT: But you can't stop reading there.


DILLY: I most assuredly can. I don't do tragedy. I do the same thing in movies.


MR. MATT: What do you mean?


DILLY: When it looks like a movie is going to be a tragedy, I stop watching and make up my own ending.


MR. MATT: Like what?


DILLY: In my version of Old Yeller, the dog has a full recovery, he lives to a ripe old age, and they all live happily ever after.


MR. MATT: Dilly...


DILLY: And in my version of Titanic, the ship misses the ice berg, they make it to New York City, and they all live happily ever after.


MR. MATT: But that's not what happened.


DILLY: And in my version of Chicken Run, ...

MR. MATT: Wait. Chicken Run wasn't a tragedy.


DILLY: I know, but in my version Rocky Rhodes doesn't marry Ginger.


MR. MATT: Why not?


DILLY: Because he marries me, and we live happily ever after. That Rocky is handsomer than a timber wolf in a sport coat.


MR. MATT: I'm not even sure what that means, but you should watch the whole movie.


DILLY: I told you, I don't do tragedy. That's why I had to stop reading the Easter story in the Bible.


MR. MATT: That's what I was trying to tell you. That story is not a tragedy.

DILLY: I don't know how you define tragedy, Mr. Matt, but havin' the snot beat out of you and being murdered on a cross certainly sounds like a tragedy to me.


MR. MATT: I agree that those are horrible things, but that's not the end of the story.


DILLY: He was deader than a doornail. How can that not be the end of the story?


MR. MATT: Because he rose from the tomb three days later.


DILLY: Do go on.


MR. MATT: It's true. Most of Jesus' followers didn't believe it either, but he rose just as he said he would and just as it was prophesied in the Old Testament.


DILLY: Well, don't that just pepper my gumbo. Not finishing the story was a foolish has yankin' a dog's ear. (excited) I must go directly and finish the story. (exits quickly)


MR. MATT: (stares at stage surprised at Dilly’s sudden departure)


DILLY: (reappears) I almost forgot – bye, y’all! (exits)

No comments: