Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Harvest Is Plentiful And the Workers Are Exhausted

Scripture Reference: Matthew 28:16-20, Acts 1:1-22, Matthew 9:37-38, Luke 10:2
The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. - Luke 10:2
A lesson about The Great Commission.

Cast:
DILLY – a southern fried chicken who doesn’t always get things straight
MR. MIKE – the teacher who sets her straight

Props:
None

(DILLY enters exhausted.)

MR. MIKE: Hey, Dilly. How are you doing?

DILLY: I’m so tired I’m left-handed.

MR. MIKE: Why are you so tired?

DILLY: I was reading in the Bible that the harvest is plentiful but the workers are few.

MR. MIKE: That’s great that you’re still reading the Bible, but how did that make you so tired?

DILLY: Rein back your horse; you’re getting ahead of me.

MR. MIKE: Sorry. Go on.

DILLY: I’ve learned the hard way to be more obedient to what I read in the Bible, so I went to a farm and started harvesting crops.

MR. MIKE: Oh.

DILLY: (indignant) “Oh” what?

MR. MIKE: I’m glad you’re taking the Bible seriously, but that’s not what that means.

DILLY: Well, don’t that just take the cake. Then what in the wide, wide world of sports does it mean?

MR. MIKE: It means that there are lots of people in the world who need to hear the Good News, but not enough people to tell it.

DILLY: Well, flip me over and call me done. That’s a whole lot easier. (talking to the kids) Hey you! God loves you. Hey you! Jesus died for your sins. Hey you! Accept Jesus or you’re going to H-E-double hockey sticks. Hey next kid! ...

MR. MIKE: Dilly!

DILLY: Hush! I’m busy spreading the Good News. (turning back to the kids) Hey you! Jesus loves you this I know. (continue until all of the kids have been spoken to)
There. That wasn’t so hard.

MR. MIKE: Dilly, there’s a lot more to it than that.

DILLY: Do tell.

MR. MIKE: Jesus said to go and make disciples of all nations and baptize them.

DILLY: Well, that’s easier than falling off a greased log. We can go down to the bathroom and baptize the whole lot of them right now.

MR. MIKE: We’re not baptizing these fine young ladies and fellows in the bathroom.

DILLY: Suit yourself, but if we did, we’d be done with it all.

MR. MIKE: That’s what I’m trying to say. We wouldn’t be done with it. Being saved is eternally important, but that’s not the end. Jesus said to make them disciples.

DILLY: I don’t know if you’ve noticed, Mr. Mike, but the disciples are all dead.

MR. MIKE: The original ones are, but we are supposed to be disciples, too.

DILLY: Pull the other one.

MR. MIKE: Truthfully. Christians are supposed to be disciples, or students, learning to serve God and be pleasing to Him.

DILLY: Well, don’t that just pop out your monocle. All those people I told about Jesus left high and dry. I must go find them and make them disciples. (running back and forth) I gotta go to my neighbors. I gotta go to the feed store. I gotta go to my neighbors. I gotta go… (exits quickly)

MR. MIKE: (stares at stage surprised at Dilly’s sudden departure)

DILLY: (reappears) I almost forgot – bye, y’all! (exits)

No comments: