Monday, May 3, 2010

Here I Am, Lord

Scripture Reference: 1 Samuel 3

A lesson in responding to God.

Now word from Yahweh was rare in those days and visions were uncommon. But one night when Samuel was lying down in the Temple of Yahweh, Yahweh called out, 'Samuel! Samuel!' - 1 Samuel 3:1-4Cast:
OZZIE – a mischievous little monster
MISS STARR – the teacher who sets him straight

Props:
None

(MISS STARR is on stage talking to the kids.)

MISS STARR: Last week we finished the book of Judges, and this week we are staring First Samuel. Today we are going to talk about, you guessed it, Samuel. He was…

OZZIE: (enters confused) Huh? What? Eh? Did you call me, Miss Starr?

MISS STARR: No, Ozzie, I didn’t call you. I was just telling the kids about Samuel.

OZZIE: Oh. Well, I was taking a little snooze, and I thought I heard someone call my name. It musta been a dream.

MISS STARR: I guess so. You can go back to your nap.

OZZIE: Thanks. (exits)

MISS STARR: As I was saying, Samuel is seen as the last of the judges and the first of the major prophets. According to the book of Samuel, he was the one who anointed the first two kings of Israel: Saul and David. His mother…

OZZIE: (enters) What? What? What do you want?

MISS STARR: What’s the matter, Ozzie?

OZZIE: You called my name again.

MISS STARR: It wasn’t me.

OZZIE: (suspiciously) Well, someone did.

MISS STARR: I promise it wasn’t me, and I didn’t see any of the kids do it. Maybe you were dreaming again.

OZZIE: No, I was dreaming that I was playing freeze tag with my pet worm Squiggly.

MISS STARR: Maybe Squiggly called your name.

OZZIE: That’s just silly! Worms can’t talk!

MISS STARR: But they can play freeze tag?

OZZIE: It was a dream.

MISS STARR: Oh, yeah. Anyway, no one called your name.

OZZIE: (still suspicious) Okay. (starts to exit but does a double or triple take)

MISS STARR: That’s so weird. So where was I? That’s right: Samuel’s mom prayed to have a baby. When God gave her Samuel, she dedicated him to God, and he was raised by the priest Eli. When Samuel was 13, God called him one night. At first, he thought it was Eli calling him. (pauses thoughtfully) huh. (looking toward the stage) I wonder if…

OZZIE: (enters shouting) Please stop calling my… (noticed MISS STARR looking at him) Oh, hi.

MISS STARR: Did someone call your name again?

OZZIE: Yeah! How’d you know?

MISS STARR: Lucky guess.

OZZIE: And I suppose you are going to continue to deny that it was you.

MISS STARR: Yes, I am, but I think I know who it was.

OZZIE: Sweet! Who was it? I bet it was Hayley. (stage whisper) I’ve never really trusted her.

MISS STARR: No, it wasn’t Hayley.

OZZIE: I didn’t think so, because she’s so nice. Then who was it?

MISS STARR: God.

OZZIE: God? Why would God be calling me?

MISS STARR: I don’t know, but I think you need to spend some time in prayer and find out.

OZZIE: I will certainly do that right after my siesta.

MISS STARR: Sounds like a good plan.

OZZIE: But can I ask you for a favor first?

MISS STARR: Sure. What is it?

OZZIE: If God calls again, can you please take a message and let me sleep. (exits)

MISS STARR: Ozzie!

No comments: