Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Bold Is Beautiful

Scripture Reference: 1 Samuel 17

A lesson in boldness and faith.

Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart. – 1 Samuel 13:7Cast:
OZZIE – a mischievous little monster
MISS REBECCA – the teacher who sets him straight

Props:
none

(MISS REBECCA is on stage when OZZIE enters.)

OZZIE: (sadly) Hi, Miss Rebecca.

MISS REBECCA: Hi, Ozzie. Is there something wrong? You seem sad.

OZZIE: Well, you see there’s this kid at school who doesn’t have any friends, and it really bums me out.

MISS REBECCA: Why doesn’t he have any friends?

OZZIE: The other kids make fun of him, because he talks funny.

MISS REBECCA: You should be able to identify with that.

OZZIE: How so?

MISS REBECCA: Well, uh… You see…

OZZIE: Spit it out. What makes you think I could identify with someone who talks funny?

MISS REBECCA: Hmmm. Never mind. So why don’t you be his friend?

OZZIE: Oh, I couldn’t do that. Then the other kids would make fun of me for hanging out with him.

MISS REBECCA: Ozzie! You shouldn’t worry so much about what the other kids think. You should do what’s right. You need to be bold.

OZZIE: Oh, no! I don’t want to be bold! I’d look really silly without any hair!

MISS REBECCA: Not BALD, BOLD. Someone who is bold is brave and willing to take risks.

OZZIE: But I’m just a cute little monster. I can’t stand up against everyone by myself.

MISS REBECCA: You won’t be by yourself.

OZZIE: You mean my pet worm Squiggly? I don’t think he’s gonna be much help.

MISS REBECCA: I don’t mean Squiggly. I mean your always with…

OZZIE: (sarcastically) I know, I know. I’m not by myself, because God is with me. You always say that.

MISS REBECCA: That’s because it’s always true.

OZZIE: Yeah, but still…

MISS REBECCA: The book of Proverbs tells us that “the righteous are as bold as a lion.”

OZZIE: Does that mean I have to roar and chase zebras?

MISS REBECCA: No.

OZZIE: Good. Cause I don’t know what I’d do with a zebra if I caught one anyway.

MISS REBECCA: It means that like lions aren’t afraid of anything, you shouldn’t be afraid of anything either, because you always have God on your side.

OZZIE: I guess that’s true. With God on my side, it’s not really a fair fight.

MISS REBECCA: Exactly

OZZIE: Plus there’s Squiggly.

MISS REBECCA: Can’t forget Squiggly.

OZZIE: Oh, no. Squiggly would never let you forget him.

MISS REBECCA: So are you ready to make friends with the new kid?

OZZIE: I sure am! I just gotta do one thing first.

MISS REBECCA: What’s that?

OZZIE: Go find a barber to shave me, so I can be bold. (exits)

MISS REBECCA: Ozzie!

No comments: