Monday, May 10, 2010

Blood and Guts Not Required

Scripture Reference: 1 Samuel 16:1-13
Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart. – 1 Samuel 16:7
A lesson in how “the Lord looks at the heart.”

Cast:
D.B. – a good albeit not very bright bunny
MISS REBECCA – the teacher who sets him straight

Props:
Headband/bandana (for D.B. to wear)
Dollar bill (real or fake)

(MISS REBECCA is on stage. D.B. enters out of breath. Panting, he spins around, moans, and collapses.)

MISS REBECCA: (concerned) D.B., are you all right?

D.B.: (breathlessly) I see a tunnel with a bright light.

MISS REBECCA: D.B.

D.B.: I am going down the tunnel.

MISS REBECCA: D.B.!

D.B.: And at the end of the tunnel there is… There is…

MISS REBECCA: What?

D.B.: A carrot.

MISS REBECCA: (annoyed) D.B.

D.B.: (snickers) Hi, Miss Rebecca.

MISS REBECCA: What were you doing that left you so out of breath?

D.B.: I was exercising.

MISS REBECCA: Oh. Are you trying to get into shape?

D.B.: I already am a shape. I am bunny-shaped.

MISS REBECCA: No, I mean are you trying to get healthy?

D.B.: Oh, yes. I need to be much stronger if I am going to serve God.

MISS REBECCA: God doesn’t really care if you’re strong, Sweetie.

D.B.: Hmmm. Then He must want good looks. I sure hope so, because I am awfully cute.

MISS REBECCA: (amused) You are awfully cute, but God doesn’t really care how good looking you are.

D.B.: I was afraid you would say that.

MISS REBECCA: Why’s that?

D.B.: Well, if it is not being strong or handsome, then God must be looking for someone really smart like… like…

MISS REBECCA: Thomas Edison?

D.B.: Smarter.

MISS REBECCA: Albert Einstein?

D.B.: Smarter.

MISS REBECCA: Stephen Hawking?

D.B.: Smarter.

MISS REBECCA: I’m not sure who’s smarter than Stephen Hawking.

D.B.: Mr. Jeff.

MISS REBECCA: Mr. Jeff is smarter than Stephen Hawking?!?

D.B.: (looking down) Did I get that right, Mr. Jeff?

MR. JEFF: Yes. Thanks, D.B. (hands up dollar bill)

MISS REBECCA: Did Mr. Jeff pay you to say that?

D.B.: (holding dollar bill in mouth) No.

MISS REBECCA: It doesn’t matter, because God really doesn’t care how smart you are.

D.B.: (drops dollar) Oh. (pause) So God only wants weak, ugly, stupid people?

MISS REBECCA: Not exactly. You see God cares about what’s in your heart.

D.B.: God cares about my blood?!?

MISS REBECCA: Not your actual heart. He cares about your character. God is able to use people who are humble and obedient and loving.

D.B.: Ah. (catching on) So God cares about what on my inside, not what is on my outside.

MISS REBECCA: Exactly.

D.B.: But not my blood and guts.

MISS REBECCA: But not your blood and guts.

D.B.: Good, because I do not have any blood and guts. (stage whisper) I am a puppet.

MISS REBECCA: Right. He cares about you being humble, obedient, and loving, which you are, D.B.

D.B.: Aw shucks. You are not so bad yourself.

MISS REBECCA: Thank you.

D.B.: Hey! That means I can get started right away.

MISS REBECCA: After all that exercise, you might want to take a shower first.

D.B.: (sniffs) I thought that was you, Miss Rebecca.

MISS REBECCA: D.B.!

D.B.: (snickers) Bye, Miss Rebecca.

MISS REBECCA: Bye, D.B.

No comments: