Monday, February 22, 2010

Don't Forget to Remember

Scripture Reference: Joshua 1,3-4
As for me and my household, we will serve the LORD. – Joshua 24:15b
A lesson in remembering God's promises.

Cast:
D.B./PUPPETEER – a good albeit not very bright bunny and his alter ego.
MR. MATT – the teacher who sets him straight

Props:
two pieces of string (on one each of D.B.'s paws)
two post-it notes (one on D.B.'s back, one backstage)

(D.B. enters while MR. MATT is on stage.)

D.B.: (tapping head) Think, think, think…

MR. MATT: What's up, Winnie-the-Pooh?

D.B.: I am not Winnie-the-Pooh, Mr. Matt.

MR. MATT: I know, D.B. You just remind me of Pooh sitting and thinking.

D.B.: But I am not a chubby little cubby.

MR. MATT: It was just a joke…

D.B.: I am not even stuffed with fluff.

MR. MATT: Of course not, but…

D.B.: I am stuffed with… (looks down then says in excited but hushed tones) Mr. Matt!

MR. MATT: What is it, D.B.?

D.B.: There is someone down there, and his hand…

MR. MATT: It's okay.

D.B.: (does a double take) Are you sure?!?

MR. MATT: I'm sure. Now what was it you thinking about?

D.B.: (continues to look down but finally focusing on the question) I was thinking about this string on my finger.

MR. MATT: Why do you have a string on your finger?

D.B.: To remember.

MR. MATT: Remember what?

D.B.: I forget.

MR. MATT: Well, think.

D.B.: That was what I was trying to do until you came up and started calling me names.

MR. MATT: I'm sorry about that.

D.B.: And now I cannot think straight knowing that strange man is down there. (looks down and stares)

MR. MATT: D.B.! Don't worry about that now. Were you trying to remember to do something?

D.B.: Of course I was trying to remember to do something. No one needs to remember to do nothing.

MR. MATT: I guess that's true.

D.B.: I remember! I am suppose to read my post-it note.

MR. MATT: Great! Where is your post-it note?

D.B.: I forget.

MR. MATT: D.B.! (pauses) Is it a pink post-it note?

D.B.: Yes!

MR. MATT: Is it square?

D.B.: Yes! Yes!

MR. MATT: And has writing in blank ink on it?

D.B.: Yes! Yes! Yes!

MR. MATT: It's on your back.

D.B.: It is? (tries to turn to see it but can't – keeps turning/twisting)

MR. MATT: Let me get it for you before you twist yourself into a pretzel. (removes post-it)

D.B.: What does it say?

MR. MATT: It says, "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." (both look behind the puppet curtain)

D.B.: Oh, yes, I remember now. He is my friend. (looking down) Hello, friend.

PUPPETEER: Hello, D.B. Stop looking at me.

D.B.: Oh, sorry.

MR. MATT: Well, I'm glad we could figure out what you were suppose to remember.

D.B.: Thanks, Mr. Matt. (looking at his other hand) Now, if I could only remember what the other string is for.
(a hand comes up holding another post-it note – reads then turns to Mr. Matt) It says I need to stop talking and get off the stage.
Bye, Mr. Matt.

MR. MATT: Bye, silly old bunny.

No comments: