Monday, February 8, 2010

No Worms for Mom

Scripture Reference: Numbers 22-24
They have left the straight way and wandered off to follow the way of Balaam son of Beor, who loved the wages of wickedness.  But he was rebuked for his wrongdoing by a donkey—a beast without speech—who spoke with a man's voice and restrained the prophet's madness. - 2 Peter 2:15-16
A lesson in listening to God.

Cast:
OZZIE – a mischievous little monster
MISS REBECCA – the teacher who sets him straight

Props:
none

(MISS REBECCA is on stage.)

OZZIE: Miss Rebecca! Miss Rebecca! I have a question for you! I have a question for you!

MISS REBECCA: Calm down, Ozzie. What is it?

OZZIE: Tomorrow is my mom's birthday.

MISS REBECCA: That's great.

OZZIE: No, it isn't. I haven't bought her a gift yet, and I need some help.

MISS REBECCA: What do you need?

OZZIE: I need some ideas of what to get her.

MISS REBECCA: Well, you could get her…

OZZIE: Because she's an awesome mom.

MISS REBECCA: Yes, she is, and I bet she'd like…

OZZIE: And I need to get her something really awesome.

MISS REBECCA: Of course. What about…

OZZIE: Not like last year.

MISS REBECCA: What did you get her last year?

OZZIE: A worm.

MISS REBECCA: No, that's not really a mom gift. This year you could get her…

OZZIE: I'd love to get a pet worm for my birthday. That would be sweet.

MISS REBECCA: Yeah, that's really more a little boy gift. A mom gift would be…

OZZIE: They don't like worms or lizards or race cars or even Star Wars stuff for their birthdays.

MISS REBECCA: Mom's are funny that way. Have you thought about…

OZZIE: So this year I want to get her a mom gift that'll make her smile.

MISS REBECCA: That's very thoughtful of you, so you could get her…

OZZIE: Because she's a really awesome mom. Did I mention that?

MISS REBECCA: Yes, you did. (silence)

OZZIE: So do you have any ideas?

MISS REBECCA: I have plenty of ideas.

OZZIE: Well, spill 'em, Miss Rebecca.

MISS REBECCA: I've been try, but you won't be quiet long enough to listen.

OZZIE: Sorry. In case you haven't noticed, I am a little excitable.

MISS REBECCA: I think we've all noticed.

OZZIE: Oh. (pause) So anyway, I'll be quiet now, so you can tell me your ideas.

MISS REBECCA: I think the best thing you could give her a card.

OZZIE: A card?

MISS REBECCA: Yeah. Make a card with pictures and maybe a poem. Moms love that kinda stuff.

OZZIE: Even more that worms?

MISS REBECCA: A lot more than worms.

OZZIE: Thanks, Miss Rebecca.

MISS REBECCA: My pleasure, sweetie. All you had to do was slow down and listen to get the answer.

OZZIE: You're right as usual. Well, I'm off to make my mom a card.

MISS REBECCA: I'm sure it'll be a big hit.

OZZIE: Oh, no!

MISS REBECCA: What now?

OZZIE: I almost for about my dad's birthday. (exiting) Mr. Jeff! Mr. Jeff! I have a question for you! I have a question for you!

MISS REBECCA: Ozzie!

No comments: