Monday, February 1, 2010

The Cupboard Was Bare

Scripture Reference: Exodus 16:1-17:7

Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. – Deuteronomy 6:5A lesson in God's provision.

Cast:
D.B. – a good albeit not very bright bunny
MISS REBECCA – the teacher who sets him straight

Props:
Cell phone (could be offstage)
Cell phone/text SFX

(MISS REBECCA is on stage when D.B. enters.)

D.B.: Hi, Miss Rebecca. Do you have a carrot I can borrow?

MISS REBECCA: No. I don't usually carry carrots on me, D.B.

D.B.: How about some lettuce?

MISS REBECCA: No.

D.B.: Celery?

MISS REBECCA: No.

D.B.: A rutabaga?

MISS REBECCA: No, D.B. I don't have any veggies on me.

D.B.: How about a slice of cheese?

MISS REBECCA: No, cheese.

D.B.: A stale piece of bread?

MISS REBECCA: No.

D.B.: Any chewed gum?

MISS REBECCA: No.

D.B.: Do have some pocket lint?

MISS REBECCA: Pocket lint? Why are you asking me all of the weird questions? Is there a problem, sweetie?

D.B.: Well, I went to the refrigid-rator at home, and there was no food. My mom does not care about me any more, and I am going to starve to death.

MISS REBECCA: I'm sure that's not true.

D.B.: Oh, but it is true. I felt like Old Mother Hubbard – the cupboards are bare. My mother just does not care about us any more.

MISS REBECCA: I believe that there's no food, but I know your mom still cares about you.

D.B.: Then why has she not bought any food?

MISS REBECCA: I don't know that, but I do know that you can trust that your mom still cares for you.

D.B.: I am not so sure about that.

MISS REBECCA: Well, have you ever gone down for breakfast and had no food to eat?

D.B.: No, but…

MISS REBECCA: Have you ever opened your lunch box at school and found it empty?

D.B.: Well no, but…

MISS REBECCA: Do you always have food on the dinner table?

D.B.: I know, but…

MISS REBECCA: Have you ever actually starved to death, D.B.?

D.B.: Of course not, Miss Rebecca. Do not be so silly. I could not be talking to you if I had starved to death.

MISS REBECCA: I'm not the one being silly. Your mom has always taken care of you, and you don't look like you've missed any meals. Why don't you have faith in her now?

D.B.: You are right. I am a silly little bunny. (cell phone/text SFX) Wait I have a text from my mom.

MISS REBECCA: What does it say?

D.B.: (reluctantly) She is at the store and wants to know if I want Honey Nut Carrot-Os for breakfast.

MISS REBECCA: See, D.B., you should have trusted your mom to take care of you, just like she has always taken care of you.

D.B.: You are right, Miss Rebecca. I am going to go help my mom carry in the groceries then give her a big hug for taking such good care of me.

MISS REBECCA: That is an awesome idea.

D.B.: Bye, Miss Rebecca.

MISS REBECCA: Bye, D.B.

No comments: