Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Do This in Remembrance – Part 2

Scripture Reference: Exodus 12:1-13:16, 1 Corinthians 11:17-34

A lesson in remembering God's power and deliverance.

do this in remembrance of me. - 1 Corinthians 11:24Cast:
ELIJAH – a mischievous little student
MR. JEFF – the teacher who sets him straight

Props:
Communion elements

(MR. JEFF is addressing the class, which includes ELIJAH.)

MR. JEFF: Just like the Passover was a way of remembering the miracles God had performed and His salvation, we celebrate Communion to remember our salvation through Jesus Christ. In 1 Corinthians 11:24, "do this in remembrance of me."

ELIJAH: I love doing Communion.

MR. JEFF: That's great, Elijah. Do you remember who started Communion?

ELIJAH: Hmm. I don't remember, but I love doing Communion.

MR. JEFF: Jesus started it the night He was betrayed. He gathered all of the disciples and gave them a new meaning to the bread and wine of the Passover meal, so they'd remember His sacrifice.
Elijah, do you remember what the bread means?

ELIJAH: Hmm. I don't remember, but I love doing Communion.

MR. JEFF: The bread represents Christ's body broken for us (break bread). Broken by the beating of the soldiers, and broken on the cross. Broken because He loves us that much.
Do you remember what the wine stands for, Elijah?

ELIJAH: Hmm. I don't remember, but I love doing Communion.

MR. JEFF: The wine, or juice, represents Christ's blood poured out (pour juice) for the forgiveness of our sins.
Do you remember anything about Communion, Elijah.

ELIJAH: I remember the bread and juice.

MR. JEFF: Those are the things to help us remember Christ's sacrifice. If you don't remember, then it's just snack time.

ELIJAH: I guess I'm just a rotten kid.

MR. JEFF: No, you aren't.

ELIJAH: But I don't even remember about Communion.

MR. JEFF: That's okay. Learn today about it. Then when you celebrate Communion today and in the future, you can remember about Christ's sacrifice.

ELIJAH: I can do that.

MR. JEFF: I am sure you can, and I am sure all of you can. Now, let's celebrate Communion together.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Cute idea to do this! :)

ChildsPlay said...

Thanks, Emily Anne.