Wednesday, October 7, 2009

God Wants Me to Do What?

Scripture Reference: Genesis 6:9-9:17, 1 Thessalonians 5:17
pray without ceasing
A lesson in obedience to God.

Cast:
OZZIE – a mischievous little monster
MR. MIKE – the teacher who sets him straight

Props:
none

(OZZIE enters while MR. MIKE is on stage.)

OZZIE: That's it! I'm done! I'm fed up with it, and I'm not doing it any more!

MR. MIKE: What's the matter, Ozzie?

OZZIE: Every time I read my Bible there is something I need to do or need to change, but this time it has gone too far. I'm never reading my Bible again!

MR. MIKE: Slow down. What did you read that got you so upset?

OZZIE: In 1 Thessalonians, Paul says we are to pray without ceasing.

MR. MIKE: What's so bad about that?

OZZIE: But if I pray without ceasing, how will I ever talk to anyone else? I mean I will always be talking to God…

MR. MIKE: Ozzie…

OZZIE: And I won't be able to sleep, and I'll be come sleep deprived. People who are deprived of sleep start hallucinating and go CRAZY! Do you really want to see me MORE crazy?!?

MR. MIKE: Ozzie!

OZZIE: And I wouldn't be able to eat. I will wither away to fur and bones. You know you can only go about three weeks without food before you die! (wails)

MR. MIKE: Ozzie!!

OZZIE: And the worst part … I wouldn't be able to play on my PlayStation! (collapses)

MR. MIKE: OZZIE!!!

OZZIE: (calmly) Yes?

MR. MIKE: That's not what it means. You don’t have to pray non-stop and do nothing else.

OZZIE: I don't?

MR. MIKE: No. It means you should pray throughout the day, not just one time. We are to keep turning to God for strength and guidance and encouragement.

OZZIE: Oh.

MR. MIKE: For example, you could pray before lunch at school.

OZZIE: Oh, I couldn’t do that! No one else does that, and the other kids would make fun of me.

MR. MIKE: But what if your prayer encourages other Christians to pray – or helps lead someone to Christ?

OZZIE: I guess.

MR. MIKE: If you are obedient to God's Word, God will bless you.

OZZIE: Okay, then I better be going.

MR. MIKE: Why the rush?

OZZIE: If I'm going to pray without ceasing, I better get started. (disappears)

MR. MIKE: (rolling his eyes) Ozzie.