Monday, October 19, 2009

Just-If-I'd

Scripture Reference: Genesis 12:1-9, 15:1-21, Romans 4, John 3:16
Abram believed the LORD, and He credited it to him as righteousness. – Genesis 15:6
A lesson in faith and justification.

Cast:
D.B. – a good albeit not very bright bunny
MISS REBECCA – the teacher who sets him straight

Props:
A long list (maybe a roll of register tape that could be unrolled)

(MISS REBECCA is on stage.)

D.B.: (appears on stage with a long list) … then I need to clean my room and mop the floor and read my Bible and help an old lady across the street and …

MISS REBECCA: Hey, D.B. Looks like you have a honey-do list.

D.B.: Honeydew? Let see … carrots … lettuce … rutabagas …. No, no honeydews.

MISS REBECCA: (chuckling) No, D.B. A honey-do list is a list of things a wife gives to her husband to do. She says, "Honey, do this" and "Honey, do that."

D.B.: (embarrassed) Oh, Miss Rebecca. I cannot believe you called my honey.

MISS REBECCA: No, I …

D.B.: We hardly know each other.

MISS REBECCA: But I meant …

D.B.: And what would your husband think?

MISS REBECCA: You see I …

D.B.: Plus I am a rabbit.

MISS REBECCA: I know, but …

D.B.: And you are not even a rabbit.

MISS REBECCA: What I meant was… What I was trying to say was… (frustrated, gives up) What's with the list, D.B.?

D.B.: Oh, this is my list of things to do to get into heaven.

MISS REBECCA: That's a mighty long list.

D.B.: Oh, yes. Because there are lots of things I must do to be a good bunny, and I can only get into heaven in I am a very good bunny.

MISS REBECCA: That's not true, D.B.

D.B.: (hurt) But I have been trying oh so hard to be such a good bunny.

MISS REBECCA: No, D.B. You are a very good bunny. I meant that it's not true that you have to be very good to get into heaven.

D.B.: Well, you have to at least be good.

MISS REBECCA: You don’t' even have to be good.

D.B.: Above average?

MISS REBECCA: Nope.

D.B.: You mean I can be rotten and get into heaven?

MISS REBECCA: Heaven will be full of people who sinned.

D.B.: But, Miss Rebecca, God does not like sin.

MISS REBECCA: No, He doesn't.

D.B.: Then why does He let them in?

MISS REBECCA: He lets them in – he lets us in – because He loves us. In fact, He loves us so much…

D.B.: I know this one. "For God so loved the world, that He gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

MISS REBECCA: Very good, D.B. God loves us so much that He created a way for sinners to be with Him forever. We just need to put our faith in Jesus and His sacrifice, and we will be justified.

D.B.: Just-if-I'd done what?

MISS REBECCA: Not just-if-I'd done something. I will be justified with God – made right with Him. He won't see my sin anymore.

D.B.: Well, that is sweet. I guess I can get rid of my list then.

MISS REBECCA: It is still a good list. I am sure your mom still wants you to clean your room, and reading your Bible is a very good thing. Those things won't get you into heaven, but they make God happy.

D.B.: Then I better go clean my room.

MISS REBECCA: Good for you. Get it all spic and span.

D.B.: It is very messy, so you may not see me for a very long time.

MISS REBECCA: That's okay.

D.B.: Bye, Miss Rebecca.

MISS REBECCA: Bye, D.B.

D.B.: (disappears then pops up quickly) Bye, honey.

MISS REBECCA: D.B.!

No comments: