Monday, September 28, 2009

Picture of Jealousy

Scripture Reference: Genesis 4:1-16

By faith Abel offered God a better sacrifice than Cain did. – Hebrews 11:4A cautionary tale of jealousy and anger.

Cast:
D.B. – a good albeit not very bright bunny
MR. MIKE – the teacher who sets him straight

Props:
A blank piece of brown (or black) construction paper.

(D.B. enters and starts spitting.)

MR. MIKE: (wiping off his shirt) D.B., what are you doing?

D.B.: I am so mad I could spit! (spits again)

MR. MIKE: (ducking/dodging) You’re not suppose to actually spit. It’s just an expression like “Don’t let the cat out of the bag.”

D.B.: Please do not let the cat out of the bag, Mr. Mike. Rabbits and cats are mortal enemies. We do not get a long at all. So please do not let the cat out of the bag.

MR. MIKE: That’s not what I meant, D.B. There is no bag, and there is no cat.

D.B.: Then why did you say there was?

MR. MIKE: Because I, er… uh…. You see I meant…. Just tell me why you are so mad.

D.B.: You see Ozzie and I each drew a picture for Mr. Jeff, and he liked Ozzie’s picture better.

MR. MIKE: I find that very hard to believe. Mr. Jeff is a very fair fellow.

D.B.: Oh, it is true. He hung up Ozzie’s picture and did nothing with mine.

MR. MIKE: Maybe he just hasn’t had a chance to do anything with it yet.

D.B.: Oh no, it sat there for several days. In fact, I took it back, and he did not even miss it.

MR. MIKE: (accusingly) D.B.! You shouldn’t have taken it.

D.B.: But he did not want the picture. Do you want to see it?

MR. MIKE: Sure.

D.B.: (Disappears then returns with the blank piece of construction paper.)

MR. MIKE: (taking the picture) What is this suppose to be?

D.B.: It is suppose to be a picture of a cow in a field of beautiful green grass.

MR. MIKE: But where’s the grass?

D.B.: The cow ate it all.

MR. MIKE: Then where is the cow?

D.B.: He went to find more grass, silly.

MR. MIKE: D.B.!

D.B.: Mr. Mike?

MR. MIKE: You didn’t really draw Mr. Jeff a picture, did you?

D.B.: Sure I did. It is a picture of a cow in a field of beautiful green grass.

MR. MIKE: D.B., it’s just a blank piece of brown paper, isn’t it.

D.B.: (dejected) Yes.

MR. MIKE: So you really don’t have any reason to be jealous. Ozzie probably worked hard to make a nice picture for Mr. Jeff, and you just gave him a blank piece of paper. Don’t you see why we would like Ozzie’s better.

D.B.: (pouting) I suppose, but Ozzie’s picture was not very good.

MR. MIKE: It really doesn’t matter how good it is. Mr. Jeff likes that Ozzie put some effort into the picture. He likes that it was a thoughtful gift.

D.B.: I guess it is like Mr. Jeff was saying about praise. It does not matter how good we sing, God just likes that we sing.

MR. MIKE: Exactly, D.B. So are you through spitting?

D.B.: Oh yes, Mr. Mike, I am. In fact, I am going to make a new picture for Mr. Jeff.

MR. MIKE: I’m sure he’ll like that.

D.B.: Then I will make one for you, Mr. Mike.

MR. MIKE: (touched) Thank you, D.B. I’d like that.

D.B.: Bye, Mr. Mike.

MR. MIKE: Bye, D.B.

No comments: