Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Life Story #3

Scripture Reference: 2 Timothy 2:21
If a man cleanses himself from the latter, he will be an instrument for noble purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work. - 2 Timothy 2:21
A lesson in being ready for service.

Cast:
CALEB – Smallest monkey; feels he is inadequate to serve God.
MAX – Biggest and strongest monkey; works hard but tends to be prideful.
BOOGER – Big and strong; does not take good care of himself.
MR. WISEMAN – Wise man of the jungle; helps monkeys carry out the Creator's plan.
ROSIE – A very small, pink monkey who loves to swing.

Props:
Trash and dirt for BOOGER at the beginning of the skit
Bubbles, dust, etc. to make it appear that BOOGER is getting cleaned up

(The scene opens, MAX is sniffing the air, and MR. WISEMAN enters.)

MR. WISEMAN: What's the matter, Max? You look like you've smelled a skunk.

MAX: A skunk would be an improvement. Something around here is really stinky.

BOOGER: (enters covered in schmutz) Hi, guys. What's up?

MAX: (walks over, smells BOOGER, and faints)

BOOGER: Max?!?

MAX: (returns and addresses MR. WISEMAN) I think we found our skunk.

BOOGER: What are you talking about?

MR. WISEMAN: Look at yourself, Booger. You're a mess. When was the last time you took a bath?

BOOGER: What do you mean? I took a bath on my birthday.

MAX: Yeah, but your birthday was 4 months ago!

MR. WISEMAN: Booger, the Bible tells us that "your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit". You should take better care of yourself.

BOOGER: You're right. I haven't fell very good lately, and I haven't felt like I am serving God as well as I could.

MR. WISEMAN: Booger, I think it's time you get cleaned up.

(CALEB appears, and he and MAX drag BOOGER down. The kids then only hear a struggle with possible puffs of dust and/or bubbles rising to indicate that BOOGER is getting cleaned up. MR. WISEMAN offers words of encouragement.)

MR. WISEMAN: I think he's done, boys.

BOOGER: (reappearing cleaned up) What's the big idea! Why I… (looking down at himself) Hey, I look pretty good. And I feel MUCH better.

MR. WISEMAN: I'm glad, but you know it is even more important to be clean on the inside.

BOOGER: (jumps back in fear) I don’t want Max and Caleb to do all that to my guts!

MR. WISEMAN: (laughing) Don't worry, Booger. I'm not talking about dust and muss inside of you; I'm talking about sin in your heart. Sin makes you gunky on the inside and keeps you from being able to fully serve God. The Bible says that if you will make yourself "clean from evil things," then God can use your "for special purposes."

BOOGER: How do I do that? Does it hurt?

MR. WISEMAN: Sometimes it hurts a little bit at first, but it feels great in the end. You need to spend time with God, ask for His power to overcome sin, ask for His forgiveness, and forgive others.

BOOGER: I can do that.

MR. WISEMAN: That would be a great start. Once you are clean inside and out, God will be using you for might things. Then instead of Booger, we'll be calling you "Bigger," because God will be using your for bigger and bigger things.

BOOGER: Can you help be get started?

MR. WISEMAN: It would be a joy. Come with me, and we will look at my Bible.

(BOOGER and MR. WISEMAN exit together.)

No comments: