Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Life Story #2

Scripture Reference: 1 Corinthians 12:18

A lesson in being useful.

But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. - 1 Corinthians 12:18 Cast:
CALEB – Smallest monkey; feels he is inadequate to serve God.
MAX – Biggest and strongest monkey; works hard but tends to be prideful.
BOOGER – Big and strong; does not take good care of himself.
MR. WISEMAN – Wise man of the jungle; helps monkeys carry out the Creator's plan.
ROSIE – A very small, pink monkey who loves to swing.

Props:
A stick and a string from which to dangle ROSIE.

(The scene opens, ROSIE is dangling above the stage calling for help when CALEB enters.)

ROSIE: Help! Help! Somebody help me!

CALEB: (Looking around.) Rosie, is that you? Where are you?

ROSIE: Up here.

CALEB: (Looking up.) Rosie! How in the world did you get up there?

ROSIE: I was swinging through the trees like I always do when I got stuck. Oh, please help me, Caleb!

CALEB: (Jumping) I'm trying, but I can't reach you.

MR. WISEMAN: (Enters; watches Caleb jumping.) What's going on, Caleb?

CALEB: Rosie's stuck, and I can't reach her.

MR. WISEMAN: This job is too big for just one monkey. Max! Booger! We need your help!

(Max and Booger enter.)

MR. WISEMAN: Gentleman, Caleb needs your help reaching Rosie.

(Immediately, Booger jumps on Caleb, and Max jumps on Booger. Max reaches up and pulls ROSIE down with his mouth. They dismount.)

ROSIE: Thank you so much, Max. I'd still be up there if it weren't for you.

BOOGER: You're the best monkey, Max.

MAX: (Swelling with pride.) Aw shucks. It was nothing.

(ROSIE, BOOGER, and MAX go their separate ways. CALEB looks very sad.)

MR. WISEMAN: Why the long face, Caleb? Aren't you happy Rosie is okay?

CALEB: Sure, I am, but… I mean… I wish I was like Max and important to God's plans. Even when we get together to do something big and important, I always feel like the most useless piece!

MR. WISEMAN: Nobody is useless to God. You think that because you were on the bottom of the stack, you weren't important. But without you to hold Max steady, he'd topple over, and you would have all crashed — then you would have all been useless! You may not have been the one who grabbed Rosie, but without you, she wouldn't have been saved.

CALEB: Really?

MR. WISEMAN: Of course. Remember the Bible says that God put everyone where He wants them. He has a place for all of us.

CALEB: Gee, I guess you're right. No matter how small or big a monkey might be, we all are important to God's plan. And without each other, we can't do nearly as much for others.

MR. WISEMAN: You've got it. Now lets go check on Rosie.

(MR. WISEMAN and CALEB exit.)

No comments: