Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Sprite As Rain

Scripture Reference: 2 Kings 20:1-11, 2 Chronicles 32:24-26, Isaiah 38

A lesson in following God and prayer.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. – Proverbs 3:5

 Cast
:

 TURQ – an energetic little monster from the hills
 MR. MIKE – the teacher who sets him straight

 Props:
 none

(MR. MIKE is on stage when TURQ enters.)

TURQ: Hoo wee! Howdy-do, Mr. Mike.

MR. MIKE: Hi, Turq. What's up?

TURQ: Well, I've been reading the Good Book fer a piece now.

MR. MIKE: Reading the Bible is always a good thing. How's it going?

TURQ: I've been right taken with how the Lord answers prayers.

MR. MIKE: Yes, He does. God hears all of our prayers and answers them.

TURQ: That's what it sez, but I gotta notion that may not be truthful.

MR. MIKE: Why do you say that?

TURQ: 'Cuz my prayers ain't a-comin' true.

MR. MIKE: What are you praying for?

TURQ: I'm a-prayin' that it'd rain sody pop.

MR. MIKE: It's not going to rain soda pop.

TURQ: Is you a-sayin' the Lord cain't make it rain sody pop?

MR. MIKE: He could, but He isn't going to.

TURQ: Is you a-sayin' the Lord don't luv me 'nough to answer ma prayers?

MR. MIKE: No, I'm saying God doesn't work that way. First, think of the mess that would be caused if it rain Coke.

TURQ: It could be Dat Coke. It ain't as sticky.

MR. MIKE: More importantly, God isn't a vending machine or genie. He's not there to grant your wishes.

TURQ: He ain't?

MR. MIKE: He ain't – I mean, He isn’t.

TURQ: Well, bust ma legs and call me shorty. If'n the Lord ain't gonna give me what I want, why am I a-prayin'?

MR. MIKE: We pray for lots of reasons. We pray because, as followers of God, He has told us to.

TURQ: Well, I'm a-follerin', but He ain't lead me to no sody pop.

MR. MIKE: And one of the most important reasons is to get GOD's solutions and to know HIS will. It is not so we can get God to do our will.

TURQ: I reckon that's cause the Lord is whole mess smarter'n we'uns.

MR. MIKE: Yes, He is. But it's OK to come to God with specific requests, and we have God's promise that our prayers are not in vain, even if we don't receive specifically what we asked for. He has promised that when we ask for things that are in accordance with His will, He'll give us what we ask for. Sometimes He delays His answers according to His wisdom and for our benefit. In these situations, we need to be persistent in prayer.

TURQ: So if'n if the Lord's a-willin' fer me to have sody pop, He could make it rain sody pop.

MR. MIKE: I suppose, but…

TURQ: Then I reckon the problem is that I just ain't been per-sis-tent enuff.

MR. MIKE: That's not really what I meant when…

TURQ: I think I'm gonna head down to the fishin' hole and do me some prayin' about sody pop rain.

MR. MIKE: Before you go, I need to clarify…

TURQ: See y'all later. Bye!

MR. MIKE: (giving up) Bye, Turq.

No comments: