Monday, July 2, 2012

Mirror, Mirror


Scripture Reference: James 1:22-25

But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does. - James 1:25A lesson about listening and doing.

Cast:
CHARLIE – a mindful puppet
GEORGE – a forgetful puppet
NARRATOR

Props:
a mirror (or something shiny to represent a mirror) on the side of the stage

(The stage is empty except for the mirror when CHARLIE enters and starts walking n the direction of the mirror. He is messy and disheveled; maybe a sock or sucker stuck to his back.)

CHARLIE: (singing)  I've got the joy, joy, joy down in my heart / Where? / Down in my heart / Where? / Down in my heart / I got the…  (catches sight of himself in the mirror) Oh, goodness. I'm a mess. I can't believe I left the house like this. I've got to back home and get cleaned up. (leaves the stage)

(The stage is empty except for the mirror when GEORGE enters and starts walking n the direction of the mirror. He is messy and disheveled; maybe a sock or sucker stuck to his back.)

GEORGE: (singing)  Hey, hey, good lookin' / Whatcha got cookin'? / How's about cookin' somethin' up with me? / Hey, sweet baby…  (catches sight of himself in the mirror) Oh, my. I'm messier than a monkey's birthday. I need to go comb my hair. (he starts to leave then pauses) Now, where was I going? (thinks for a minute) Oh, yeah. (turns around and starts singing again)  Hey, hey, good lookin' / Whatcha got cookin'?…  (sees himself in the mirror again) Oh, dear. Look at me. I'm messier than a soup sandwich. I need to go comb my hair. (he starts to leave then pauses) Now, where was I going? (thinks for a minute) Oh, yeah. (turns around and starts singing again)  Hey, hey, good lookin' / Whatcha got cookin'?…  (sees himself in the mirror again) Oh, lands. I'm messier than a molting Wookie. I need to go comb my hair.

CHARLIE: (returns cleaned up and quietly watches GEORGE)

GEORGE: (he starts to leave then pauses) Now, where was I going? (thinks for a minute) Oh, yeah. (turns around and starts singing again)  Hey, hey, good lookin' / Whatcha got cookin'?…  (sees himself in the mirror again) Oh, my stars. I'm messier than a teenager's bedroom. I need to comb my hair. (he starts to leave then pauses) Now, where was I going? (thinks for a minute) Oh, yeah. (turns around and starts singing again)  Hey, hey, good lookin' / Whatcha got cookin'?…  (sees himself in the mirror again) Oh, my word. I'm messier than a pig eating a sloppy Joe. I need to comb my hair. (he starts to leave then pauses) Now, where was I going?

CHARLIE: George, what are you doing?

GEORGE: I was just trying to remember. I think I was going to… going to… going to… sing!  Hey, hey, good lookin'… 

CHARLIE: What about the mirror? I thought you were going to comb your hair.

GEORGE: Why what's wrong with my hair? What mirror?

CHARLIE: That mirror over there. (walks GEORGE to the mirror)

GEORGE: (at the mirror) Oh, my goodness. I'm messier than a birds nest. I need to comb my hair.

CHARLIE: Exactly.

GEORGE: How did I not know about this?

CHARLIE: (leading GEORGE offstage) Let's get you cleaned up, and I'll explain everything.

GEORGE: Thanks, Charlie. Bless you.

NARRATOR: James 1:22-25 – Do not merely listen to the Word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the Word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect Law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it — he will be blessed in what he does. (NIV)


No comments: