Monday, July 9, 2012

The Friend at Midnight

Scripture Reference: Luke 11:5-13


So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. - Luke 11:9
The lesson about the persistence in prayer.

Cast:
FRIEND – a persistent friend with no sense of time
NEIGHBOR – the neighbor who is just trying to get some shut eye

Props:
Pots, pans, and/or anything else to make lots of noise.
Frozen pizza box

FRIEND: HEY! ARE YOU AWAKE?!


NEIGHBOR: (crashing sounds) What?!?


FRIEND: I SAID, “ARE YOU AWAKE?”


NEIGHBOR: Well, I am now. What time is it?


FRIEND: MIDNIGHT.


NEIGHBOR: Please keep it down. Everyone is asleep.


FRIEND: (stage whisper) Sorry.


NEIGHBOR: What on earth to you want?


FRIEND: I just picked my friend up at the airport, and all they fed him on the plane was a little bag of pretzels. He's starving, and all I have in my fridge is a bottle of flat Coke and half a loaf of moldy bread.


NEIGHBOR: Why are you telling me all of this?


FRIEND: Well, I was wondering if you might have a frozen pizza you could spare?


NEIGHBOR: A FROZEN PIZZA! Shhhh! What do I look like? A fast food place?


FRIEND: Well, no, but he’s really hungry.


NEIGHBOR: Look, it’s the middle of the night, the house is locked up, and the kids are finally asleep – which is no easy task. I am not going to go traipsing through the house TO GET YOU A PIZZA! Shhhh! Come back in the morning.


FRIEND: But he’s hungry now. C’mon, be a pal. All I’m asking for is one lousy little pizza. I’d even take one with pineapple on it – but no anchovies. Hairy fish on pizza is gross. Yuck! C’mon, buddy.


NEIGHBOR: I am not your pal. I am not your buddy. I am not your friend! I CAN’T EVEN HEAR YOU! (Putting fingers in ears) LA-LA-LA-LA. Shhhh!


FRIEND: Just walk down to the kitchen, pull a pizza out of the freezer, and toss it out the window, then you can go back to bed. No biggie.


NEIGHBOR: Have you no shame? You just won’t give up. Will you? Fine, let me get your pizza. (Disappear from the window. Start crashing and shushing. Without coming back to the window, toss the pizza box out of the window. Then start crashing and shushing again.)


FRIEND: THANKS! Oops! Shhhh! (stage whisper) Thanks. (Looking at box) Anchovies?! Some people just don’t think about other people’s feelings.

1 comment:

Melissa Renee said...

I saw the thumbnail of this picture and read the title and instantly thought those were cooked scorpions because of the Bible verse.