Monday, January 23, 2012

The Breastplate of Righteousness

Scripture Reference: Ephesians 6:10-20

A lesson on the Armor of God.
Stand firm then...with the breastplate of righteousness in place. - Ephesians 6:14
Cast:
OZZIE – an excitable little monster
MISS REBECCA – the teacher who sets him straight

Props:
A paper plate attached to OZZIE

(MISS REBECCA starts on stage.)

OZZIE: (enters dramatically) There's no need to fear.... Snap!

MISS REBECCA: What's the matter, Ozzie?

OZZIE: I still don't have a superhero name, Miss Rebecca.

MISS REBECCA: Well, maybe I can help. Do you have any ideas?

OZZIE: Since I'm green, I figured my superhero name should have green in it.

MISS REBECCA: I like your thinking.

OZZIE: Since I'm going to be spreading the light of God, I was thinking... The Green Lantern.

MISS REBECCA: Sorry, but that's already taken, sweetie.

OZZIE: Oh. Well, since I going to be a straight shooter, what do you think of... The Green Arrow?

MISS REBECCA: I like it. I liked it when I first saw him on the Justice League.

OZZIE: That's OK, I've got more. Since I am going to be stinging evil, I could be... The Green Hornet.

MISS REBECCA: Taken.

OZZIE: Since I will be gobbling up my enemies, I could be The Green Goblin.

MISS REBECCA: Taken, and he's a villain.

OZZIE: The Green Giant?

MISS REBECCA: Taken.

OZZIE: The Green Grocer?

MISS REBECCA: Taken.

OZZIE: (giving up) It's not easy being green.

MISS REBECCA: Taken.

OZZIE: Huh?

MISS REBECCA: Never mind. Tell me what your wearing.

OZZIE: This is (dramatically) THE BREASTPLATE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS.

MISS REBECCA: Looks more like (dramatically) THE PAPER PLATE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS.

OZZIE: Hey, sometimes you just gotta work with what you got.

MISS REBECCA: I understand, but you don't need to wear anything.

OZZIE: You mean I should be naked?!?

MISS REBECCA: No, I meant...

OZZIE: Oh, wait. I'm always naked. I'm a monster. I'm all covered with fur.

MISS REBECCA: I mean it's a metaphor.

OZZIE: Grown ups sure like to use that word.

MISS REBECCA: I don't know about that, but in this case, it applies. Paul used the image of a breastplate, because righteousness protects us from the enemy. When we are righteous, or in right standing with God, we are protected.

OZZIE: Then I'm in trouble, cause I'm too rotten to be right with God.

MISS REBECCA: Each of us is too rotten to be right with God?

OZZIE: Even you?

MISS REBECCA: Even me.

OZZIE: Even Jessie?

MISS REBECCA: Even Jessie.

OZZIE: But she's so quiet.

MISS REBECCA: The Bible tells us that everyone has sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

OZZIE: Oh, snap.

MISS REBECCA: But the good news is that Jesus died for us. If we accept Him as our Savior, then we are right with God.

OZZIE: Phew!

MISS REBECCA: So you see you are already wearing the breastplate of righteousness and didn't even know it.

OZZIE: That's nothing. I wore a strip of toilet paper on the bottom of my foot for a week and didn't even know it. (exits)

MISS REBECCA: Ozzie!

No comments: