Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Shoes of the Gospel of Peace

Scripture Reference: Ephesians 6:10-20

A lesson on the Armor of God.
And having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace. - Ephesians 6:15
Cast:
OZZIE – an excitable little monster
MISS REBECCA – the teacher who sets him straight

Props:
most hideous pair of shoes that can be found

(MISS REBECCA starts on stage.)

OZZIE: (without zesty jolliness) Hi, Miss Rebecca.

MISS REBECCA: Hi, Ozzie. You seem a little down. What's wrong?

OZZIE: you know how I've been trying to be a superhero?

MISS REBECCA: Right. And you've been trying to put on the armor of God. Which reminds me, you're not wearing anything new this week.

OZZIE: That's the problem. I'm kinda scared.

MISS REBECCA: You're scared of the armor of God?

OZZIE: Not all of it. Just the gospel of peace.

MISS REBECCA: Why is that so scary?

OZZIE: 'Cause the Bible says I have to get shot!

MISS REBECCA: Are you sure about that, sweetie?

OZZIE: Yes! It's very specific. It says I have to be shot in the feet!

MISS REBECCA: Shot it the feet? (realizes what it really is) Oh. Not shot, shod. Your feet shod with the gospel of peace.

OZZIE: Shot. Shod. Either way, it scares me.

MISS REBECCA: Shod means to fit with shoes. It's the past tense of the verb shoe.

OZZIE: Wouldn't that be shoed?

MISS REBECCA: That's what we'd say now, but in the time the King James Bible was written, they said shod.

OZZIE: Like they said Thee and Thou and didst?

MISS REBECCA: Exactly.

OZZIE: That's stupendous.

MISS REBECCA: Putting on shoes is much better than getting shot.

OZZIE: Oh yeah, there is that, but I meant... (exits and returns with shoes) now I can wear these!

MISS REBECCA: What are those?

OZZIE: (dramatically) THE SHOES OF THE GOSPEL OF PEACE!

MISS REBECCA: And of all the shoes there are to pick from, are those really the ones you want to wear?

OZZIE: Yeah! I figure they'd really scare the devil.

MISS REBECCA: Trust me that they scare more that the devil.

OZZIE: Can you please help me put them on?

MISS REBECCA: I could, but you don't need those shoes.

OZZIE: But I really want to put them on.

MISS REBECCA: But I really don't want to see them on you.

OZZIE: Huh?

MISS REBECCA: What I mean is – the shoes symbolize our readiness to go into the world to share the Gospel and spread God's peace.

OZZIE: Oh! And these wouldn't be very useful for that.

MISS REBECCA: I'm not sure those things are useful for anything by scaring crows.

OZZIE: And this is Texas.

MISS REBECCA: What does that have to do with anything?

OZZIE: I need to go get my (dramatically) FLIP FLOPS OF THE GOSPEL OF PEACE! (exits)

MISS REBECCA: Ozzie!

No comments: