Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Helmet of Salvation/The Shield of Faith

Scripture Reference: Ephesians 6:10-20

A lesson on the Armor of God.

Cast:
OZZIE – an excitable little monster
MR. MIKE – the teacher who sets him straight

Props:
Human-sized helmet (army, football, etc.)
Frisbee

(MR. MIKE starts on stage; OZZIE enters just high enough for the helmet to show.)

OZZIE: (muffled) Hey, Mr. Mike.

MR. MIKE: Is that you, Ozzie?

OZZIE: Yes, sir. Who’d you think it was?

MR. MIKE: I wasn’t sure. I thought it might be a turtle.

OZZIE: A turtle? Oh, that’s my (dramatically) HELMET OF SALVATION. It’s part of my superhero equipment. Take the helmet of salvation... - Ephesians 6:17a

MR. MIKE: That’s a mighty big helmet for you.

OZZIE: Well, I can be a pretty rotten little monster, so I need all the salvation I can get.

MR. MIKE: We ALL need all the all the salvation we can get, but the helmet doesn’t show how saved we are. It’s a symbol of how we are protected by God’s salvation.

OZZIE: Oh, it’s kinda like the belt of truth; it’s a meta-, meta-, meta-five.

MR. MIKE: A metaphor.

OZZIE: Meta-four, meta-five, whatever it takes.

MR. MIKE: Yes, it’s a metaphor. You really don’t need an army helmet.

OZZIE: Good! This thing is heavy and hurting my brain. Would you mind taking it off for me?

MR. MIKE: Sure.

OZZIE: (enters with a paroxysm; now can see OZZIE is holding a Frisbee) That’s better.

MR. MIKE: Now what’s that?

OZZIE: (dramatically) THE SHIELD OF FAITH. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. - Ephesians 6;16

MR. MIKE: The shield of faith?

OZZIE: Yes, sir. I’m ready to “quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.”

MR. MIKE: You are on the ball, but you don’t need a real shield.

OZZIE: Metaphor?

MR. MIKE: Metaphor.

OZZIE: And the fiery darts?

MR. MIKE: Metaphor.

OZZIE: Snap!

MR. MIKE: What’s the problem?

OZZIE: What am I going to do with an asbestos dartboard now?

MR. MIKE: I don’t know about that, but I am so happy that you’re taking your faith so seriously. Faith helps us stand resolute when our beliefs and values are attacked. It shields us from the fiery darts of fear and doubt and worry that the enemy constantly throws at us.

OZZIE: So faith in God and salvation through Jesus Christ are seriously important to protect us from Satan.

MR. MIKE: Exactly.

OZZIE: And it’s not a real helmet or shield. It’s a metaphor.

MR. MIKE: Right. Paul was using physical things to help us understand spiritual principles.

OZZIE: Well, that’s a good thing.

MR. MIKE: How so?

OZZIE: Now I can go back to playing with my (dramatically) FRISBEE OF FAITH. (exits)

MR. MIKE: Ozzie!

No comments: