Tuesday, November 15, 2011

You Fool!

You shall not murder. - Exodus 20:13Scripture Reference: Exodus 20:13, Matthew 5:21-22

A lesson about the commandment not to kill.

Cast:
DILLY – a southern fried chicken who doesn’t always get things straight
MR. MIKE – the teacher who sets her straight

(MR. MIKE starts on stage.)

DILLY: (enters yelling to someone offstage) You foolish, foolish rooster! I cain't believe you carry on so! Good bye, sir!

MR. MIKE: Dilly! Who are you talking to like that?

DILLY: That fool of a little bantam rooster. He's about as sharp as a sack of wet mice, bless his heart.

MR. MIKE: That's not very nice.

DILLY: I'm sure his mamma loves him, but I'm just saying... Anyway, I didn't come here today to talk about that scoundrel. I understand you are teaching these young chicks about the 10 Commandments. Being the righteous and virtuous chicken I am, I thought I would offer my assistance.

MR. MIKE: I think we have it under control. Today we are talking about "You shall not murder."

DILLY: Well, I'm not sure I'd have much to offer on that anyway – having, of course, never murdered anyone. I don't even like stepping on ants. I do declare that I am quite innocent of this one.

MR. MIKE: Actually, Jesus said anyone who is angry with his (or her) brother is subject to judgement, and anyone who says "You fool!" will be answerable to God.

DILLY: You're joshing me.

MR. MIKE: Cross my heart. Jesus says you are just as guilty before God as a murderer if you call someone a fool.

DILLY: That don't rightly seem fair. Killing someone is much worse.

MR. MIKE: In one sense, that's true. No one is going to prison for name calling. But God cannot tolerate any sin, whether it's murder or calling someone a fool. All sin makes you guilty.

DILLY: Well, tie me to a pig and roll me in the mud. I've never heard such a thing.

MR. MIKE: The Pharisees thought they were more righteous, because they kept the commandments. Do you know anyone like that, Dilly?

DILLY: (whisper) You mean Flora?

MR. MIKE: (whisper) No! (normal voice) Jesus was teaching them – and you – that no one is righteous because of the Law. We are only counted as righteous by having faith in God.

DILLY: Don't that just sauté my gizzard. And there are so many that I've call a fool. I must go at once and make amends. Who to go to first? (running back & forth) That little bantam rooster... No, the cow... No, the pig... No, Mr. Mike... No, Flora... (exits quickly)

MR. MIKE: (stares at stage surprised at Dilly’s sudden departure)

DILLY: (reappears) I almost forgot – bye, y’all! (exits)

No comments: