Monday, November 7, 2011

Sabbath and the Rest

Scripture Reference: Exodus 20:8-11

A lesson on keeping the Sabbath.
Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. - Exodus 20:8
Cast:
OZZIE – an excitable little monster
MISS REBECCA – the teacher who sets him straight

(MISS REBECCA starts on stage.)

MISS REBECCA: (pauses after prayer; looks at watch) Ozzie should be here. I wonder where he is?

OZZIE: (from backstage) Yeah, pick me up from church... It's behind The Wall... Not a brick wall, silly. The Wall Chinese restaurant... OK, see you at noon. Bye.(enters and looks around) Why's everyone staring at me? Do I have something in my fur? This stuff attracts everything. The other day I found a slice of pizza in my fur.

MISS REBECCA: That's gross.

OZZIE: Actually, it was yummy. So why is everyone staring at me?

MISS REBECCA: We were just waiting on you. Sounds like you have big plans after church.

OZZIE: I got big plans all day.

MISS REBECCA: Oh, really? Like what?

OZZIE: Well, after church I got soccer practice. My friend Ernie's mom is going to take us.

MISS REBECCA: What else?

OZZIE: Then my folks are going to take Izzie and me to a movie.

MISS REBECCA: That sounds like fun. What are you going to see?

OZZIE: We're going to see Being Elmo. Ozzie like Elmo.

MISS REBECCA: Who doesn't?

OZZIE: Then I have play practice at school.

MISS REBECCA: Oh. What play are you doing?

OZZIE: Pinocchio.

MISS REBECCA: Who are you playing? Jiminy Cricket?

OZZIE: You're just saying that because I'm green.

MISS REBECCA: Well, I...

OZZIE: That's very colorist of you.

MISS REBECCA: Sorry, I shouldn't have made assumptions. Who are you playing?

OZZIE: Jiminy Cricket.

MISS REBECCA: But, I... Never mind. Is that all?

OZZIE: Oh, no! Then I'm going over to Bert's house to play video games. He thinks he can beat me at Monster Trucks.

MISS REBECCA: But he can't?

OZZIE: Of course not. I'm a monster!

MISS REBECCA: Makes sense. Anything else?

OZZIE: Yeah, then I gotta soccer game.

MISS REBECCA: I thought you already had soccer.

OZZIE: That was practice. This is a game. We're playing the Palmer Polecats.

MISS REBECCA: Are they any good?

OZZIE: They stink! (pauses for laughter from the kids) Cause a polecat is a skunk, and skunks stink. Get it? It's a joke. (pauses for laugh) Anyway – then I go home and do my homework & go to bed.

MISS REBECCA: That's awfully late to start homework. Why didn't you do it yesterday?

OZZIE: I was too busy.

MISS REBECCA: Too busy? Today seems too busy.

OZZIE: Yeah, I got a lot going on. I almost didn't make it to church.

MISS REBECCA: Well, that wouldn't have been good. Have you ever heard of Sabbath Rest?

OZZIE: Is that when my mom and dad take a nap on Sunday afternoon?

MISS REBECCA: No. It has to do with the fourth Commandment, which says to remember the Sabbath and keep it holy. That means setting aside one day of the week as different, where we focus on things of God and not of this world.

OZZIE: So my folks shouldn't take a nap?

MISS REBECCA: A nap is fine. In fact, I am a strong advocate of naps. It means you shouldn't push God out. You should focus on Him everyday, but more so on Sunday.

OZZIE: I see what you mean. I'm so busy, I have no time for God. I'll see about clearing my schedule for next Sunday.

MISS REBECCA: That would be great.

DILLY: (offstage) Ozzie, honey.

OZZIE: Just a second. (leans down to hear whisper then returns) Oh that’s right. I’ll have to start in two weeks.

MISS REBECCA: Why do you have to wait?

OZZIE: I forgot I have to help Dilly clean her house.

MISS REBECCA: Can’t she do it without you?

OZZIE: No, she says I’m the best dust mop she’s ever used. (exits)

MISS REBECCA: Ozzie!

No comments: