Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Unstable Christmas

Scripture Reference: Luke 2:1-20, Matthew 1:18-25 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. – John 3:16

A lesson about the birth of the Savior.

Cast:
DILLY – a southern fried chicken who doesn’t always get things straight
MR. MATT – the teacher who sets her straight

Props:
None

(MR. MATT begins on stage when DILLY enters.)

DILLY: How y’all doin’, Mr. Matt?

MR. MATT: Oh hi, Dilly. I’m doing fine. How are you?

DILLY: Why, I’m finer than frog hair. And, oh my, y’all have some new little chicks in your class this morning. Howdy, young’uns.

MR. MATT: Yes, we do. New kids…

DILLY: And they’re just cuter than a speckled pup in a red wagon.

MR. MATT: New school year…

DILLY: Why, I’m sure they’re more excited than a dog in a hubcap factory.

MR. MATT: New Testament…

DILLY: New Testament? Whatever are you talking about?

MR. MATT: We’re going to start studying the New Testament this week. Today we are going to look at the birth of Jesus.

DILLY: I don’t cotton to that story.

MR. MATT: The Christmas story? Why not?

DILLY: The idea of a baby being born in a sorry little stable is most unpleasant, and that’s coming from someone who has lived in a stable. They are smelly and dirty. I mean, his daddy is the Lord God. Couldn’t he have let his son be born in a warm palace or a fine antebellum mansion or even the Holiday Inn? But a stable? And with all that donkey poo. Well, I never.

MR. MATT: Dilly, I think you’ve missed the point of the story.

DILLY: If you’re so bright, Mr. Matt, enlighten me.

MR. MATT: It’s a story about love.

DILLY: What are you talking about? Are you saying Mary & Joseph loved donkey poo?

MR. MATT: Of course not. I am saying that Jesus loved you so much that he left Heaven – where he sat beside his Father and had angels worshipping him – to come to Earth and be born in a “sorry little stable.”

DILLY: Well, ain’t that the berries!

MR. MATT: Yes, it is… I think.

DILLY: I always knew that Jesus loves everyone, but I didn’t know I was his favorite. Imagine that. He came to Earth just because of ME.

MR. MATT: Not just because of you, Dilly. He does love you, but he also loves me and Mr. Jeff and all these kids.

DILLY: (stage whisper) Even Abigail?

MR. MATT: Of course he loves Abigail.

DILLY: And Flora, too?

MR. MATT: And Flora, too.

DILLY: Do go on.

MR. MATT: Seriously, Jesus loves all the little children of the world.

DILLY: That is the most exciting news! I had never thought of the Christmas story in just that way. I must find Flora and tell her that Jesus left Heaven, because he loves her and me and everyone else (but I still think I’m his favorite). Where could that Flora be? Oh, there she is. (getting louder and running offstage) Flora! Flora darlin’! (exits)

MR. MATT: (stares at stage surprised at Dilly’s sudden departure)

DILLY: (reappears) I almost forget – bye, y’all! (exits)

No comments: