Monday, September 20, 2010

True Identity

Scripture Reference: Luke 2:41-52
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. – John 3:16
A lesson about identity.

Cast:
D.B. – a good albeit not very bright bunny
MR. MATT – the teacher who sets her straight

Props:
a dog nose, mask, and a bandana as a cape for D.B.’s disguise

(MR. MIKE is on stage.)

D.B.: (appears singing like old Mighty Mouse cartoon) Here I come to save the day!

MR. MATT: What in the world?

D.B.: Fear not, Citizen. It is I, Mighty Dog.

MR. MATT: What’s up with the costume, D.B.? It isn’t Halloween yet.

D.B.: D.B.? Who is this D.B.? I don’t know… This is not a costume, it is my… I am the Champion of Justice; I am Mighty D… (in regular voice) How did you know it was me, Mr. Matt?

MR. MATT: Well, the ears for one thing. They’re kind of a giveaway.

D.B.: I do not understand. Clark Kent takes off his glasses and does not wear any kind of mask, and no one knows he is Superman. I wear a nifty disguise, and everyone knows who I am.

MR. MATT: It’s because, no matter what you wear, you’re still D.B.

D.B.: But I am not D.B. I am (superhero voice) Mighty Dog.

MR. MATT: But you don’t stop being D.B. when you’re Mighty Dog.

D.B.: (confused) I do not?

MR. MATT: Of course not. How do you think I knew it was you even in your Mighty Dog disguise?

D.B.: (defeated) I know. The ears.

MR. MATT: Not just the ears. Who you are – your personality, your character – still comes through. No matter what disguise you wear, it’s still D.B. underneath.

D.B.: (disappointed) Oh. Okay.

MR. MATT: You sound disappointed. Being D.B. is a good thing.

D.B.: I suppose, but Mighty Dog is the Champion of Justice. He is much cooler than just plain D.B.

MR. MATT: I wouldn’t say that. Even without the costume, you don’t stop being Mighty Dog.

D.B.: Huh?!?

MR. MATT: Like Mighty Dog, you show strength and honesty and integrity. I bet even as D.B. you’re faster than a speeding bullet.

D.B.: (perking up) You are right. Just yesterday I won a race against my turtle Bullet.

MR. MATT: (chuckling) There you go.

D.B.: Thanks, Mr. Matt.

MR. MATT: You’re welcome, D.B.

D.B.: Bye, Mr. Matt.


MR. MATT: Bye, D.B.

No comments: