Monday, June 21, 2010

Dilly-Dally

Scripture Reference: 1 Kings 11:9-13, 26-43, 1 Kings 12:1-24

A lesson in choices and consequences.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. - Proverbs 3:5
Cast:
DILLY – a southern fried chicken who doesn’t always get things straight
MISS STARR – the teacher who sets her straight

Props:
None

(MISS STARR is on stage when DILLY enters.)

DILLY: Good morning, Miss Starr.

MISS STARR: Hi, Dilly. How’re you doing?

DILLY: I’m just finer than frog hair, but my life has sho’ been a whirlwind lately.

MISS STARR: Oh really? What’s going on?

DILLY: Well, about a year ago the Lord laid it on my heart to help the homeless chickens.

MISS STARR: That sounds like a wonderful thing to do.

DILLY: Well, I know it is, but some of those homeless chickens smell a might… Miss Starr, have you ever smelled an old sneaker?

MISS STARR: Yes. They don’t smell too good.

DILLY: Well, imagine if it had been worn by a fish…

MISS STARR: Dilly!

DILLY: covered in stinky cheese and cabbage.

MISS STARR: That’s not nice at all!

DILLY: Well, it’s just the truth. It doesn’t make them bad, but I’m just saying…

MISS STARR: So did you help them?

DILLY: Well, I spent a lot of time in God’s Word and praying, and I felt convicted to do it. I didn't want to do it, but I did it anyway.

MISS STARR: That’s wonderful. How’d it go?

DILLY: I got together with some other hens, and we raised money and built the most darling chicken coops you ever saw.

MISS STARR: I bet God really blessed you for your obedience.

DILLY: Oh, He has! I met the loveliest bunch of hens, and we absolutely adore spending time with one another.

MISS STARR: That’s great.

DILLY: Oh, it is. We have lunch with one another, go shopping, play pinochle. We have had more fun than a flea at a dog show.

MISS STARR: I’m so happy for you. Are you still raising money to build chicken coops?

DILLY: Well, we’ve been spending so much time at our hen parties that we really don’t have time for that any more.

MISS STARR: Have you prayed about that?

DILLY: I’ve been intendin’ to, but I’ve been busier than a bee in tar bucket.

MISS STARR: And how’s that working out for you?

DILLY: Well, now that you mention it, none too well. My friend Flora and I were remarking just the other day that we were happier when we were busy raising money for those smelly chickens that we are now just having fun.

MISS STARR: That’s because you are outside of God’s plan for you. He loves it that you’re blessed with good friends, but you can’t let those friends take the place of God.

DILLY: (excitedly) I declare that I do believe y’all are right. I need to mend my ways. I am going to call Flora and the girls directly and get to work raising money for chicken coops again. (exits quickly)

MISS STARR: (stares at the stage surprised by DILLY’s sudden departure)

DILLY: (reappears) I almost forgot – bye, y’all!

MISS STARR: Bye, Dilly.

No comments: