Monday, June 7, 2010

All By Myself

Scripture Reference: 2 Samuel 23:8-39, 1 Chronicles 11

A lesson about having the courage to stand alone.

Cast:
D.B. – a good albeit not very bright bunny
MR. MIKE – the teacher who sets him straight
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. - Proverbs 3:5
Props:
Baseball

SFX:
Glass breaking
“Run away”

(Opens with D.B. offstage, and MR. MIKE at the back of the room.)

SFX: Glass breaking
SFX: “Run away!”


(MR. MIKE comes to the front holding a baseball. D.B. peaks over the top of the stage and spots MR. MIKE looking at him.)

D.B.: (reluctantly) Hi, Mr. Mike.

MR. MIKE: (seriously) Hello, D.B.

D.B.: It is a nice day.

MR. MIKE: It’s a very nice day.

D.B.: (after an awkward pause) Yes, very nice.

MR. MIKE: Where did all your friends go, D.B.?

D.B.: Friends?

MR. MIKE: I heard other kids outside playing. Where’d they go?

D.B.: Oh, those kids. They are not here any more.

MR. MIKE: I can see that. What happened to them?

D.B.: Um, they ran away.

MR. MIKE: Why did they run away?

D.B.: I do not know. Maybe their moms called them home for dinner.

MR. MIKE: Are you sure about that, D.B.?

D.B.: (dropping head) No. They ran away, because the baseball got hit really hard and broke someone’s window.

MR. MIKE: And whose window do you suppose got broken?

D.B.: (looking at the baseball) Yours?

MR. MIKE: Mine.

D.B.: (becoming upset) I am sorry, Mr. Mike. It was an accident.

MR. MIKE: I’m sure it was. I broke plenty of stuff when I was a kid, so I understand.

D.B.: You were a kid once?

MR. MIKE: (amused) Of course I was. Everyone was a kid at some time.

D.B.: Oh, yeah.

MR. MIKE: I’m angry, because all those kids ran away without taking responsibility for their actions.

D.B.: But they were scared.

MR. MIKE: Aren’t you scared too, D.B.?

D.B.: Yeah, but staying is the right thing to do.

MR. MIKE: All of your friends ran away. You could have run away too.

D.B.: Yeah, but being honest is the right thing to do even if no one else does it.

MR. MIKE: I’m proud of you, D.B.

D.B.: For breaking your window?

MR. MIKE: No, for having the courage to stand alone and do the right thing.

D.B.: Courage?!? I am so very frightened that my furry little knees are knocking together.

MR. MIKE: I know, and I appreciate that. Courage means doing what’s right even when it is hard.

D.B.: Thank you, Mr. Mike. What are you going to do with our ball?

MR. MIKE: I think I will hold on to it for now, until I have a chance to talk to the other kids’ parents.

D.B.: Are you going to talk to my parents?

MR. MIKE: No, we’re good.

D.B.: Thanks, Mr. Mike.

MR. MIKE: You’re welcome, D.B.

D.B.: Bye, Mr. Mike.

MR. MIKE: Bye, D.B.

No comments: