Monday, March 8, 2010

Mighty Dog

Scripture Reference: Joshua 8:1-29, 10:1-15Bullet the turtle

A lesson in God's might.

Cast:
D.B. – a good albeit not very bright bunny
MR. MIKE – the teacher who sets him straight

Props:
a dog nose and a bandana as a cape for D.B.’s disguise.

(MR. MIKE is on stage.)

D.B.: (appears singing like old Might Mouse cartoon) Here I come to save the day!

MR. MIKE: Who in the world are you suppose to be?

D.B.: (in superhero voice) Do not fear, Citizen. It is I, Mighty Dog!

MR. MIKE: (suspicious) Mighty Dog hmmm? You do look mighty familiar.

D.B.: That is probably because you have seen my mighty exploits.

MR. MIKE: And what is it that makes you so mighty?

D.B.: Well, I am faster than a speeding Bullet.

MR. MIKE: Are you really faster than a speeding bullet?

D.B.: Oh, yes! I am much faster than my turtle Bullet.

MR. MIKE: (amused) Ah, I see. Anything else?

D.B.: I am more powerful than a locomotive.

MR. MIKE: More powerful than a locomotive?

D.B.: Much more powerful. I can stop my Thomas the Tank Engine even when it has brand new batteries.

MR. MIKE: And I suppose you can leap tall buildings in a single bound.

D.B.: But of course. I made a building out of Legos and leaped over it in a single bound.

MR. MIKE: How tall was it?

D.B.: Three bricks – but it was the really big bricks.

MR. MIKE: And what inspired you to become a superhero?

D.B.: I was reading the Bible, and I want to be a superhero like Joshua.

MR. MIKE: Joshua was definitely a heroic fellow, but he wasn’t really a superhero. Was he?

D.B.: Well, he stopped the sun in the sky. That sounds pretty superhero-ish to me.

MR. MIKE: Joshua didn’t stop the sun.

D.B.: Oh yes, he did. I read it in the book of Joshua.

MR. MIKE: I know the story, but it wasn’t Joshua who stopped the sun. It was God.

D.B.: Oh! That makes more sense.

MR. MIKE: Of course it does.

D.B.: I mean you would have to have a really tall ladder to reach the sun.

MR. MIKE: REALLY tall.

D.B.: And the sun would be really hot.

MR. MIKE: (chuckling) Yes, it would, D.B.

D.B.: (in regular voice) Hey! You know who I am.

MR. MIKE: (reluctantly) Yeah, I do.

D.B.: But how did you guess?

MR. MIKE: Well, the ears for one thing. They are kinda a dead giveaway.

D.B.: Maybe my mom can pin my ears back and…

MR. MIKE: D.B., you don’t need to be a superhero.

D.B.: I do not?

MR. MIKE: No, you can rely on God. He stopped the sun in the sky, parted the waters, and did all the other amazing things to show His mighty hand.

D.B.: I guess you are right, Mr. Mike. God is much mightier than any superhero.

MR. MIKE: That’s right.

D.B.: He is the superhero-est of them all.

MR. MIKE: Exactly. So you don’t really need that costume any more.

D.B.: I guess not. (superhero voice) Bye, Citizen.

MR. MIKE: Bye, Mighty Dog.

2 comments:

Dr. Kerry McAvoy said...

Very nice play. I like your use of the same word over and again, but clarifying the meaning each time. I reminded me how many times we use a word to capture our sense of things and we have have forgotten God's infinite, omnipotent perspective. Our world feels so big when it is puny. I recall a passage in Isaiah that compares the heavens to a canopy that God shakes out.

ChildsPlay said...

Thanks for the kinds words. It is easy to forget that God is infinite when all we have are finite words.