Monday, November 2, 2009

Jelly Bean There, Done That

Scripture Reference: Genesis 25:19-34, 27:1-28:9
From the fullness of His grace we have all received one blessing after another. – John 1:16
A lesson in the value of God's blessing.

Cast:
D.B. – a good albeit not very bright bunny
MISS REBECCA – the teacher who sets him straight

Props:
none

(MISS REBECCA is on stage.)

D.B.: (enters and stares at the ground) Come on! Come on! Come on!

MISS REBECCA: What is the matter, D.B.?

D.B.: It is my new special jelly beans. They do not want to grow.

MISS REBECCA: Oh, sweetie, you can't plant jelly beans and get a beanstalk.

D.B.: Of course not. Jelly beans do not grow into a beanstalk.

MISS REBECCA: Well, I'm glad you know that.

D.B.: That is just a fairy tale.

MISS REBECCA: That's right.

D.B.: I would not be so foolish as to think that these are magic jelly beans that would grow a beanstalk that I could climb into the clouds.

MISS REBECCA: I'm sorry I doubted you, D.B.

D.B.: How silly! Jelly beans only grow into jelly bean bushes.

MISS REBECCA: Jelly beans don't come from a bush.

D.B.: A vine?

MISS REBECCA: I'm afraid not.

D.B.: Are they legumes?

MISS REBECCA: (chuckling) No, they aren't legumes. Jelly beans are candy and are made in a candy factory.

D.B.: (downtrodden) Oh.

MISS REBECCA: (concerned) I hope you didn't pay a lot of money for those jelly beans.

D.B.: Oh, no. I did not pay any money.

MISS REBECCA: That's good.

D.B.: (embarrassed) I traded my Star Wars cards for them.

MISS REBECCA: Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry.

D.B.: I guess that was not such a great trade. Was it?

MISS REBECCA: No, it wasn't. You traded something that was very valuable to you for something that wasn't worth much. You wound up with a handful of jelly beans that you could eat in just a few minutes.

D.B.: I should have valued what I had more. Do you think I could trade them back?

MISS REBECCA: You can try, but you planted them in the ground. I don't know that anyone wants jelly beans covered with dirt.

D.B.: I am going to try anyway, but I am going to be more careful in the future.

MISS REBECCA: Good for you, D.B.

D.B.: Bye, Miss Rebecca.

MISS REBECCA: Bye, D.B.

No comments: