Monday, November 9, 2009

Peach Perseverance – Part 1

Scripture Reference: Genesis 29
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. – Psalm 46:1
A lesson in perseverance.

Cast:
OZZIE – a mischievous little monster
MR. MATT – the teacher who sets him straight

Props:
none

(OZZIE enters while MR. MATT is on stage.)

OZZIE: (appears and screams) AAAAHH!!! (disappears with a thud)

MR. MATT: Ozzie?!? Are you all right?

OZZIE: (reappearing, says weakly) Ooooh. I can't take it any more.

MR. MATT: You can't take what any more?

OZZIE: (building momentum) There is this bully at school name Alfonso Pasquale, and he keeps picking on me. Every time he sees me he says I look like a big fuzzy lime or he honks my nose. He makes fun of the way I talk, and he says I act all crazy. Do I act all crazy, Mr. Matt?

MR. MATT: Well… So what have you been doing about it?

OZZIE: I've tried being nice to him. I've tried ignoring him. I've tried telling on him. I've tried everything, and nothing helps. What's a cute little green monster suppose to do?

MR. MATT: Have you prayed?

OZZIE: What a good idea. I could pray that he falls into a really deep hole…

MR. MATT: No…

OZZIE: Or that he turns pink with orange polka dots…

MR. MATT: No, Ozzie. Don't pray that bad things will happen to the poor fellow.

OZZIE: I should pray for good things to happen to him?

MR. MATT: You could, but I was thinking you cold pray to God for perseverance.

OZZIE: I love peach perseverance, especially on a toasted English muffin, but how will that help?

MR. MATT: That's preservers. Perseverance is when we keep trying even when things get tough. When it is no longer humanly – or monsterly – possible to continue in our own strength, we can pray to God to be our strength.

OZZIE: It's like God and I are double-teaming Alfonso Pasquale.

MR. MATT: Right. You don’t have to face him alone.

OZZIE: What a great idea. I'm going to pray now for perseverance.

MR. MATT: Good for you.

OZZIE: And a toasted English muffin. (disappears)

MR. MATT: Ozzie!

No comments: