Monday, January 31, 2011

Knocks Your Socks Off

Scripture Reference: Luke 17:11-19

A lesson about thankfulness.

Then he said to him, 'Rise and go; your faith has made you well.' - Luke 17:19Cast:
D.B. – a good albeit not very bright bunny
MISS REBECCA – the teacher who sets him straight


Props:
Toe socks


(D.B. enters but does not speak. He is obviously in a bad mood.)

MISS REBECCA: Hey, D.B.

D.B.: Oh, hi, Miss Rebecca.

MISS REBECCA: You don’t seem to be in a very good mood, sweetie. What’s wrong?

D.B.: My mamma wants me to write my gramma a thank you note for my Christmas present.

MISS REBECCA: That sounds like a very nice thing to do. What’s the problem?

D.B.: I am not thankful for my Christmas present.

MISS REBECCA: That’s not a very nice thing to say.

D.B.: But it is true.

MISS REBECCA: What’s wrong with your Christmas present?

D.B.: She bought me socks.

MISS REBECCA: Socks can be a good present.

D.B.: But I am a puppet, and I do not have any feet.

MISS REBECCA: Well, there is that. Maybe you could wear them as ear warmers.

D.B.: They are TOE socks. (produces socks in question)

MISS REBECCA: Ah. Well, you should still be thankful that your gramma loves you enough to buy you a present.

D.B.: You sound like my mamma.

MISS REBECCA: She must be a very wise woman.

D.B.: She is, but she is wrong this time.

MISS REBECCA: Maybe you’re right.

D.B.: Huh?

MISS REBECCA: Why write a thank you note for a crumby gift?

D.B.: Yeah!

MISS REBECCA: Sounds like your gramma is a very mean, uncaring grandmother.

D.B.: Wait a minute…

MISS REBECCA: Toe socks. She’s obviously a terrible person.

D.B.: No, she is not! She is a wonderful person!

MISS REBECCA: I don’t know.

D.B.: She is. Whenever I spend the night, she always makes my favorite foods, and we watch my favorite movies, and she has my favorite candy – carrot M&M’s.

MISS REBECCA: That is nice, but she obviously doesn’t love you enough to buy you any good presents.

D.B.: She does too! For my last birthday, she bought me a light saber and the Lego Watership Down video game. And last Christmas, she bought me the Star Hares Trilogy on DVD.

MISS REBECCA: Yeah, but toe socks. What was she thinking?

D.B.: She was thinking that she loves me.

MISS REBECCA: Exactly.

D.B.: Besides, I could wear them as ear warmers.

MISS REBECCA: What a good idea.

D.B.: And… Wait a minute. You tricked me.

MISS REBECCA: (innocently) Tricked you?

D.B.: You tricked me into being thankful for my Christmas present.

MISS REBECCA: I didn’t trick you so much as remind you of all you have to be thankful for.

D.B.: I am going to write my gramma the most sweetest thank you card ever.

MISS REBECCA: That’s a great idea.

D.B.: Thanks, Miss Rebecca.

MISS REBECCA: You’re welcome, D.B.

D.B.: Bye, Miss Rebecca.

MISS REBECCA: Bye, D.B.

No comments: