Monday, January 24, 2011

By His Strength

Scripture Reference: Matthew 17:14-21, Mark 9:14-29, Luke 9:37-49

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me.  My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him. - Psalm 28:7

A lesson about faith and prayer.


Cast:

DILLY – a southern fried chicken who doesn’t always get things straight

MISS REBECCA – the teacher who sets her straight


Props:

none


(MISS REBECCA is on stage.)


DILLY: How y’all doin’, Miss Rebecca?


MISS REBECCA: Fantastic! How are you today, Miss Dilly?


DILLY: I’m finer than frog hair.


MISS REBECCA: I seem to recall hearing last summer that you were raising money to build chicken coops for homeless chickens.


DILLY: Yes, the Lord laid that burden on my heart, and I have been diligently obedient to that calling.


MISS REBECCA: I’m glad to hear that. How’s it going?


DILLY: Well, lately raising money has been about as easy as trying to steer a herd of cats.


MISS REBECCA: I’m sorry to hear that. What seems to be the problem?


DILLY: With the bad economy, people are tighter than my Aunt Bessie’s corset. No matter what we do, we’re having trouble raising money.


MISS REBECCA: What have you tried?


DILLY: We tried a kissing booth. We even had that cute Elly Mae working. She’s a cute as a basket full of speckled puppies.


MISS REBECCA: How’d that work out.


DILLY: Not so good. It turns out that chickens to not have lips. She nearly put out the eyes of three roosters before we had to shut it down.S


MISS REBECCA: That’s too bad. What else did you try?


DILLY: Next we had a picnic. It was in a very lovely park, and we even had it catered.


MISS REBECCA: That sounds like a good idea.


DILLY: It was, but unfortunately, the caterer served fried chicken.


MISS REBECCA: But everyone likes fried… Oh!


DILLY: Oh, indeed. That caterer was as sharp as a bagful of wet mice.


MISS REBECCA: I hope you won’t give up. It is such a good cause.


DILLY: I won’t give up ‘til the gravy’s cold, but I am running out of ideas.


MISS REBECCA: Have you prayed about it?


DILLY: Oh heavens no!


MISS REBECCA: No? Why not?


DILLY: This is a special mission given to me by God. I’m not about to go back to Him and tell Him I can’t do it.


MISS REBECCA: Prayer isn’t giving up. God chose you, but He didn’t intend for you to do it alone.


DILLY: Well, I do have Flora helping me.


MISS REBECCA: That’s great, but I mean that God wants to help you. We aren’t suppose to do His work by our own strength but by His strength.


DILLY: Well, if that don’t sauté my gizzard. That is such a relief. It’s exhausting do this by myself.


MISS REBECCA: Some things can be worked out only by prayer.


DILLY: Well, I couldn’t be more excited if there was a shoe sale. I just know we are going to make tremendous progress now with God’s help. I must go at once and start praying. (exits quickly)


MISS REBECCA: (stares at the stage surprised by DILLY’s sudden departure)


DILLY: (reappears) I almost forgot – bye, y’all!

2 comments:

Amanda Cowles said...

i like, "tighter than aunt bessie's corset." ...poor aunt bessie. :)

ChildsPlay said...

Thanks, Amanda. Dilly is fun to write for.