Monday, October 11, 2010

D.B.’s Choice

Scripture Reference: John 2:1-11
Man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD. – Deuteronomy 8:3b
A lesson about Jesus is greater.

Cast:
D.B. – a good albeit not very bright bunny
MISS REBECCA – the teacher who sets her straight

Props:
None

(MISS REBECCA begins on stage when D.B. enters.)

D.B.: Miss Rebecca, I need your help.

MISS REBECCA: What’s up, D.B.?

D.B.: I have a special carrot…

MISS REBECCA: You have a special carrot?

D.B.: Yes, and its name is Burt.

MISS REBECCA: You named your carrot?

D.B.: It would not be very special if it did not have a name.

MISS REBECCA: I suppose not. Do you name all of your vegetables?

D.B.: Of course not. That would just be silly.

MISS REBECCA: Well, except you named…

D.B.: Imagine naming a rutabaga.

MISS REBECCA: I suppose not…

D.B.: People would think I was some sort of weirdo.

MISS REBECCA: Maybe, but…

D.B.: Naming vegetables. How ridikalus.

MISS REBECCA: You’re right. Sorry. So what is your dilemma?

D.B.: I do not have a dilemma, but I do have a situation that requires a choice between options that are or seem equally unfavorable or mutually exclusive.

MISS REBECCA: Okay. And it involves your carrot Burt?

D.B.: Yes, I have had Burt for a very long time, and my father wants me to get rid of him.

MISS REBECCA: How long have you had Burt?

D.B.: Ever since I was a kit.

MISS REBECCA: That’s a long time.

D.B.: It is. And he has changed over the years.

MISS REBECCA: How so?

D.B.: He has gotten kinda squishy.

MISS REBECCA: Uh-huh.

D.B.: And wrinkly.

MISS REBECCA: Yeah.

D.B.: And gray.

MISS REBECCA: Ew! I can’t imagine why your dad would want you to get rid of that.

D.B.: I know. He said if I throw it away, he would give me a new carrot made of metal.

MISS REBECCA: So let me get this straight. If you get rid of your nasty, old, shriveled-up carrot, your dad will give you one made of metal that will never go bad?

D.B.: That is correct.

MISS REBECCA: And why are having trouble making a choice?

D.B.: I know the new carrot is nice and shiny and will never get wrinkly and gray, but I have had Burt for so very long.

MISS REBECCA: And can you do anything with Burt?

D.B.: Not really. I think he is starting to melt. Whenever I pick him up he is all wet and gooey.

MISS REBECCA: And how does it smell?

D.B.: I did not want to say anything, but he is not smelling so good.

MISS REBECCA: So the only reason you’re keeping your old carrot is because you’ve had it for a long time?

D.B.: I suppose you are correct.

MISS REBECCA: Doesn’t it make sense to trade your gooey, stinky carrot for something better?

D.B.: When you put it that way, I guess it is not really a very hard decision.

MISS REBECCA: Not really.

D.B.: I think I will name my new extra-special carrot Grace.

MISS REBECCA: That sounds like an outstanding idea.

D.B.: Thanks, Miss Rebecca.

MISS REBECCA: You’re welcome, D.B.

D.B.: Bye, Miss Rebecca.


MISS REBECCA: Bye, D.B.

No comments: