Tuesday, November 25, 2008

14-Carrot Temptation

Scripture Reference: Matthew 6:13a

Illustration of “lead me not into temptation.”

[Note: I recently attended a puppet ministry festival and bought a rabbit puppet, so I wrote a script for it.]


Cast:
D.B. – a good albeit not very bright bunny
Miss Kelli – the teacher who sets him straight

And lead us not into temptation - Matthew 6:13a
Costume:
n/a


Props:
Bag of carrots sitting on a table


(While MISS KELLI is discussing the verse, D.B. enters and starts whistling for the carrots.)

D.B.: Here boy. (Whistles) Here boy. C’mon. (Whistles)

MISS KELLI: D.B., what in the world are you doing?

D.B.: I am trying to get a carrot.

MISS KELLI: Why don’t you just open the bag?

D.B.: Because my mother said don’t get into the bag, because the carrots are for dinner. So I am trying to get a carrot out of the bag without getting into the bag.

MISS KELLI: That sounds awfully difficult. You must really like carrots.

D.B.: That bag is like gold.

MISS KELLI: How so?

D.B.: It is 14-carrot.

MISS KELLI: (Groans) So how’s it working?

D.B.: Not very well.

MISS KELLI: Are they having trouble hearing you through the bag?

D.B.: Don’t be silly. Carrots don’t have ears.

MISS KELLI: I guess I didn’t think of that. Have you tried anything else?

D.B.: I tried to use my mental powers to get a carrot out of the bag.

MISS KELLI: Why didn’t that work?

D.B.: Power shortage. Then I tried to sneak up on them from underneath. (Disappears to demonstrate.)

MISS KELLI: What did that give you?

D.B.: (There is a thud against the table, and D.B. comes back up dazed.) A headache.

MISS KELLI: Well, D.B., it sounds like you are suffering from temptation.

D.B.: I can’t believe you said that. That is the awfullest thing you’ve ever said to me, Miss Kelli. That was mean and cruel and uh and uh… What does tep… tep… tepatatation mean?

MISS KELLI: Temptation. Temptation is thinking about doing something wrong.

D.B.: Well, what do I need to do?

MISS KELLI: Have you thought about praying?

D.B.: I hadn’t thought of that. If I pray hard enough, maybe God will reach in the bag and get a carrot for me.

MISS KELLI: That’s not what I…

D.B.: What a great idea.

MISS KELLI: I didn’t mean…

D.B.: After all, God can do anything. He could reach right in that bag…

MISS KELLI: (Yelling) D.B.!

D.B.: You don’t need to yell.

MISS KELLI: But you weren’t listening.

D.B.: I am standing right here.

MISS KELLI: I’m sorry, but…

D.B.: I’m not deaf you know.

MISS KELLI: I meant you can pray to God to help you not give in to your temptation.

D.B.: (Understanding) Oh. I could to that, too.

MISS KELLI: God wants to help when we are tempted to do something wrong. That is why Jesus taught His disciples to pray “lead us not into temptation.” If you ask God to help, He will.

D.B.: I’ll do it. (Bowing head) Dear God, help me not to be tepatated to take a carrot. In Jesus name, Amen.

MISS KELLI: Amen.

D.B.: I think I will go out and play until dinner.

MISS KELLI: I think that would be a good choice.

D.B.: Even if I still really want the carrot?

MISS KELLI: It’s okay to still want the carrot as long as you don’t give into the temptation.

D.B.: Glad to hear it. Glad to hear it. See you later, Miss Kelli.

MISS KELLI: Bye, D.B.

No comments: