Monday, July 12, 2010

Flood

Scripture Reference: 2 Kings 5

A lesson in our expectations for God.

I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. – Psalm 13:5Cast:
D.B. – a good albeit not very bright bunny
MISS REBECCA – the teacher who sets her straight

Props:
none

(MISS REBECCA is on stage when D.B. enters.)

D.B.: Hi, Miss Rebecca. How are you today?

MISS REBECCA: Hey, D.B. I’m doing fine. I haven’t seen you in a while. Where have you been?

D.B.: I have been on vacation with my mama and dad and brothers and sisters.

MISS REBECCA: How many brothers and sisters do you have?

D.B.: 98.

MISS REBECCA: Your parents have 99 children? Why not 100?

D.B.: That would be ridiculous.

MISS REBECCA: Sorry, I just thought…

D.B.: 100 kids!

MISS REBECCA: Okay, never mind…

D.B.: Who do you think we are? Bun & Kate Plus 108?

MISS REBECCA: I guess I wasn’t thinking. So where’d you go for your vacation?

D.B.: We went to Nashville.

MISS REBECCA: Haven’t they had a lot of flooding there?

D.B.: Yes. We did not mean to go there, but we should have made a left turn at Albuquerque.

MISS REBECCA: It really bugs me when that happens. So did you have a good time?

D.B.: It was a lot of fun until I got caught up in a flash flood.

MISS REBECCA: (very concerned) Oh dear! What happened?

D.B.: I climbed up on a building, and the water quickly rose up to the first floor.

MISS REBECCA: What did you do?

D.B.: Well, a boat came to rescue me.

MISS REBECCA: That’s great!

D.B.: But I sent it away.

MISS REBECCA: Why in the world did you do that?!?

D.B.: I told them I had prayed to God and go rescue someone who has less faith.

MISS REBECCA: Good grief! What happened next?

D.B.: The water kept rising and soon it was up to the second floor. I cried out to God, and soon a helicopter came.

MISS REBECCA: Thank God! I hope you had the sense to get on it.

D.B.: Oh no. I told them I had prayed to God and go save someone who has less faith.

MISS REBECCA: D.B.! How did you get saved?

D.B.: I did not. The water finally covered the building, and I floated away.

MISS REBECCA: Oh my! What happened?!?

D.B.: I died.

MISS REBECCA: (dubiously) You died?

D.B.: Yes, I died and went to heaven. When I met God I told Him that I had prayed to be saved. Why did He not save me?

MISS REBECCA: And what did He say?

D.B.: He said, “I sent a boat and a helicopter. What more do you want?”

MISS REBECCA: (annoyed) D.B., that’s an old joke.

D.B.: (snickers) I know, Miss Rebecca, but I like that joke.

MISS REBECCA: But you know what? It ties in very well with our lesson today?

D.B.: Really?

MISS REBECCA: Yes, we are going to read a story about a man named Naaman. He wanted something from God, and he was disappointed when God didn’t do it in the way he thought it should be done.

D.B.: He must have thought he was smarter than God.

MISS REBECCA: Maybe. Sometimes we put expectations on how God should do something, and we miss it when He does it His way.

D.B.: Well, I know if God sent a boat for real to rescue me, I would get in.

MISS REBECCA: Good for you. I guess you’re a lot smarter than Naaman.

D.B.: That is not saying much. Well, I better go unpack, Miss Rebecca.

MISS REBECCA: Okay, D.B.

D.B.: Bye, Miss Rebecca.

MISS REBECCA: Bye, D.B.

No comments: