Monday, July 13, 2009

Just Joking

Scripture Reference: Proverbs 26:18-19

Lying and pranks are no joking matter.

Like a madman shooting firebrands or deadly arrows is a man who deceives his neighbor and says, 'I was only joking!' - Proverbs 26:18-19 Cast:
JEFF – the jokester
CHERYL – the victim

Props:
Joy buzzer, whoopee cushion, rubber spider, "kick me" sign
Proverbs 26:18-19 displayed
Blackberry (or other valued item)

(Opens with JEFF on stage alone starting the lesson. CHERYL is offstage with the Blackberry.)


JEFF: Up here behind me is our Proverb for this week. But before we start, I want to show you some of the fun stuff I got this week. (Blows up whoopee cushion and sets it on a chair. Just then CHERYL enters.) Better yet, let me demonstrate.


CHERYL: Jeff, I think you left your….


JEFF: You look tired have a seat.


CHERYL: I'm not really tired… (JEFF guides CHERYL into the chair onto the whoopee cushion.) Very nice.


JEFF: It's just a joke. Let me help you up. (JEFF helps CHERYL up but offers hand with joy buzzer. JEFF laughs.)


CHERYL: What the… (Looks at hand then realizes what happened.) I don't think that's very funny.


JEFF: . I was only joking, but I'm sorry. (Places "kick me" sign on CHERYL's back.)


CHERYL: (Spins around a couple of times to reveal the sign then removes it.) Cut it out.


JEFF: It's just a joke. Oh, and you have something on your shirt.


CHERYL: (Looks down and gets her nose tweaked.) Very mature.


JEFF: Lighten up. I was only joking. It's a joke. (Removes rubber spider from pocket and starts to put it on CHERYL's shoulder.)


CHERYL: What's next a rubber spider on my shoulder?


JEFF: (Quickly returning spider to his pocket.) No, not at all.


CHERYL: (Gives JEFF the evil eye.) Hmmm. Did you ever read today's Proverb?


JEFF: Of course I did.


CHERYL: And what do you think it is talking about?


JEFF: It says that someone who is joking is a madman (ala Steve Martin "Wild and Crazy Guy") and is smokin' (ala The Mask).


CHERYL: No. It says that someone who lies or does tricks on other people is like crazy man shooting flaming arrows.


JEFF: As if. What is the harm in a few little pranks?


CHERYL: Really? I came in here to tell you something, but you nearly chased me off with your "jokes."


JEFF: What were you going to tell me that is so important?


CHERYL: That I found your Blackberry in the other room. (Holds up Blackberry.)


JEFF: (Checking pockets.) How'd I do that? Thanks so much

.
CHERYL: (Hands Blackberry back.) Your pranks nearly cost you your Blackberry, but I showed you grace and gave it back anyway. The next person might not be so nice.


JEFF: I'm really sorry if I hurt your feelings. I will be more careful in the future.


CHERYL: Honestly?


JEFF: No joking.

1 comment: