Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Worship - Part 4

Scripture Reference: Luke 10:38-42
Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her. - Luke 10:42
A skit that demonstrates that we should spend time with God.

Cast:
Pam – Worship Leader
Jeff – Person who doesn’t know how to worship

Props:
none

(During the opening song, Jeff sits down and starts shuffling papers and writing. When it ends…)

Pam: What are you doing now, Jeff? You didn’t even sing that song.

Jeff: I’m sorry, but I have a lot to do. I have to finish writing the last two classes for our Jr. Leader training, I need to finish planning Easter – which is Sunday! – and start planning what we are going to do this Summer. That is in addition to spending time with my family and doing my job. I just don’t have time to worship right now. I’ll do it when I get finished with all of this.

Pam: I didn’t realize you were such a Martha.

Jeff: Martha? My name is Jeff. I am pretty sure we have been introduced before.

Pam: I’m not saying your name is Martha. I’m saying you remind me of Martha in the Bible.

Jeff: I don’t think anyone has ever said that I remind them of a woman. She must have been a big girl.

Pam: You don’t look like her; you act like her. There is a story in Luke about Jesus and His disciples going to the home of Martha and Mary.

Jeff: Oh, Lazarus’ sisters.

Pam: Right. While Mary sat at the feet of Jesus hanging on His every word, Martha was left to get everything ready by herself. She was running herself ragged trying to make everything special for Jesus.

Jeff: I bet that made Martha mad. Here she is doing all this work, and her sister is just lollygagging.

Pam: Oh, it did. Martha was very mad. In fact, she tattled on Mary to Jesus. She said, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"

Jeff: Good for her. If I was doing all the work and my brother was doing nothing, I’d tell, too. I bet Jesus really let her have it.

Pam: He let her have it all right, but not who you think. Jesus said, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

Jeff: What?!? He reprimanded Martha? But Mary was just sitting there not doing anything.


Pam: Ah, that’s where you’re wrong. She was doing something very special.

Jeff: She was just sitting at Jesus’ feet and listening to Him.

Pam: Exactly. Sometimes, that is the best thing we can do. I am not saying we never do anything, but there are times when we need to just spend time in God’s presence. We don’t worship and pray with the time we have left over. We need to give these things a priority and do them first.

Jeff: It sounds kinda like tithing. We don’t give God the money we have left over; we give Him our “first fruits.” I guess we need to do the same thing with our time. We need to give him our first time, not just what is left over.

Pam: You got it. Martin Luther said, “I pray an hour every day, except when I get very busy. Then I pray two hours a day.”

Jeff: That sounds weird, but I guess he's saying that we need God even more when we have lots to do.

Pam: Right. It's a lot easier when we let God help us instead of doing it all ourselves.

Jeff: I sure could use some help for all of this.

Pam: Jesus said, “For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”


Jeff: Because He helps us. Okay, okay, I get it. This can wait; spending time with God can’t. Let’s worship God!

No comments: