Monday, March 14, 2011

Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?

Scripture Reference: Mark 12:41-44, Luke 21:1-4, 2 Chronicles 21:18-26

A lesson about giving.


Cast:
D.B. – a good albeit not very bright bunny

MISS REBECCA – the teacher who sets him straight


Props
:

None


(MISS REBECCA is on stage.)


D.B.: (enters singing) Once I had a railroad, made it run, made it run against time. Once I had a railroad, now it is gone. Brother, can you spare a time?


MISS REBECCA: Well, that was... What I mean to say is that your singing is... (pause) so why the song,

D.B.?
D.B.: I had a spare dime I put in the collection plate, Miss Rebecca, and it made me think of that song.

MISS REBECCA: That was very nice of you, sweetie.


D.B.: Aw shucks! It was just a dime I had leftover from my allowance. You cannot buy anything with a dime, so I put it in the collection plate. I did not have anything better to do with it.


MISS REBECCA: It's very nice of you to give to the church, but your attitude about giving isn't very biblical.


D.B.: What do you mean?


MISS REBECCA: The Bible says we shouldn't give our leftovers. It says that we should give God our first fruits.


D.B.: Then that does not apply to me.


MISS REBECCA: Why?


D.B.: Because I did not buy fruit with my allowance. Just candy.


MISS REBECCA: That's not what that means.


D.B.: Unless God wants my runts.


MISS REBECCA: God doesn't want your runts.


D.B.: Oh, good. Because they are my favorite.


MISS REBECCA: What He wants is for you to give to Him first and not give whatever is left over.


D.B.: Oh So I should have given to God before I bought my candy?


MISS REBECCA: Exactly. The Bible goes even farther, though. It reminds us that it's all really God's to start with, and we should give everything to Him.


D.B.: Then the church would need a much bigger collection plate.


MISS REBECCA: That's not what I...


D.B.: It would be full of toys and candy and...


MISS REBECCA: I didn't mean...


D.B.: cars and houses...


MISS REBECCA: Now you're just getting silly.


D.B.: and dogs and clothes...


MISS REBECCA: D.B.


D.B.: Then people would be coming to church with no clothes on!


MISS REBECCA: D.B.!!


D.B.: (calmly) Yes?

MISS REBECCA: That's not what that means.


D.B.: Phew! That was a very unpleasant mental image.


MISS REBECCA: It means that, since everything is God's, we need to take good care of it and use everything to God's glory.


D.B.: That makes a lot more sense.


MISS REBECCA: I would think so.


D.B.: And does not involve naked people at church.


MISS REBECCA: Yes.


D.B.: I am going to pay God first the next time I get my allowance, Miss Rebecca.


MISS REBECCA: Good for you, D.B.


D.B.: Bye, Miss Rebecca.

MISS REBECCA: Bye, D.B.

No comments: