Monday, November 1, 2010

Blessed Are

Scripture Reference: Matthew 5:1-12

A lesson about the Beatitudes.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. - Matthew 5:10
Cast:
DILLY – a southern fried chicken who doesn’t always get things straight
MR. ELIJAH – the teacher who sets her straight

Props:
Bible (NIV) – the verses are written in the skit, but the Bible should be opened as if they are being read from Matthew

(MR. ELIJAH begins on stage.)

MR. ELIJAH: While we’re waiting for Dilly, I’m going to go ahead and start reading today’s Bible passage. Starting with Matthew 5:1, “Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, and he began to teach them saying: Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”

DILLY: (enters as Mr. Elijah starts reading) I don’t think you read that correctly, Mr. Elijah.

MR. ELIJAH: Oh. Hi, Dilly. I’m sure I read that correctly. “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”

DILLY: Then you must have a faulty translation. Why in the world would God give the kingdom of heaven to the poor?

MR. ELIJAH: The translation is just fine. And it’s the “poor in spirit.”

DILLY: Okay, so why would God give his kingdom to some poor spirit?

MR. ELIJAH: It means God will bless those who recognize their need for Him.

DILLY: I am still unconvinced. But continue.

MR. ELIJAH: “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.”

DILLY: That’s very nice of Him.

MR. ELIJAH: “Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.”

DILLY: Well, don’t that just pop out your monocle. First, the poor get heaven, now them mousy folk get the earth. I just can’t believe it.

MR. ELIJAH: Meek doesn’t mean mousy or weak. It means being humble. It means submitting yourself to God.

DILLY: Are you saying God doesn’t want be strong he-man types?

MR. ELIJAH: God wants all types, but only those who let God work through them are blessed.

DILLY: Hmmm. Continue.

MR. ELIJAH: “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.”

DILLY: Isn’t that lovely.

MR. ELIJAH: “Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.”

DILLY: That seems equitable.

MR. ELIJAH: “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.”

DILLY: I certainly plan to.

MR. ELIJAH: Don’t forget that God blesses the humble, Dilly.

DILLY: Are you saying that I’m getting’ too big for my britches?

MR. ELIJAH: I’m just saying.

DILLY: I do declare. Continue.

MR. ELIJAH: “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.”

DILLY: Now wait just a cotton-pickin’ minute. I am blessed when I am insulted, persecuted, and have tales told on me?

MR. ELIJAH: That’s what the book says.

DILLY: And I am suppose to have a little shindig when this happens?

MR. ELIJAH: It says, “Rejoice and be glad.”

DILLY: Then I want to know where you got that shirt. I do believe it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on its way down.

MR. ELIJAH: What does that have to do with anything?

DILLY: You have been insulted. Why are you not doing a little happy dance and rejoicing?

MR. ELIJAH: Ah! Jesus is talking about being insulted and lied about because of the work you’re doing for Him, not because your fashion sense has been questioned.

DILLY: But how is that possible? How are any of these things possible?

MR. ELIJAH: Because “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

DILLY: Oh, that old saw. That’s just for weak folks.

MR. ELIJAH: We are all weak folks, Dilly. That’s what Jesus is saying. Once we recognize our weakness, humble ourselves, and acknowledge our need, then we are blessed and truly happy. It is only in our weakness that He is strong.

DILLY: Well, bust my buttons. I never thought of it that way. How thrillin’! I must go to Flora at once and tell her. She is much weaker than I, so she must be even more blessed. Oh, Flora! Flora! (exits)

MR. ELIJAH: (stares at the stage surprised at Dilly’s sudden departure)

DILLY: (reappears) I almost forgot – bye, y’all! (exits)

No comments: